Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have a 3 month shihtzu and we got her over 2 weeks ago. She was on Eukanba with the breeder and we are trying to move her off of it onto Freedom. For her meals, we give her Eukanba and toss some Blue Buffalo Freedom in there (not alot). Her stoole is always loose and I don't know if that is norm for a puppy or if it's food related. Our trainer told us to add rice to it but it hasn't been helping. For the past 2 days, her 1st morning walk has been diarrhea and the rest of the day it's been loose stoole. I feel we are going very slowly with her food transition. She is still on Eukanba with some Freedom in it. I don't think it's a vet issue. She was just there 2 weeks ago and when we spoke about the loose stoole, they took a sample and it was fine. Is it the freedom? Should I stop at this point and consider something else? I don't think it's the Eukanaba as she has always been on it but how do I tell which it is? Do I just feed her eukanaba for a week and see if it's still loose and if she has diarrhea or do I go begin offering more freedom in her meals? She is happy, playful and shows no signs of there being an issue. We feed her 1/3 a cup in the morning and a 1/3 at night. She "almost" finishes it all.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I would take in a second stool sample to once again rule out the possibility of parasites, Coccidia and Giardia. If tests come back clear once again, you may want to go back to feeding solely Eukanuba for at least a couple more weeks. It can take several weeks for a pup to fully adjust to a new enviorment and unsettled nerves can cause stomach issues to begin with, adding a new food on top of everything else may just be the straw that breaks the camels back. Once you have a stable routine down, then begin the slow transtion to the new food. Or given the fact that Freedom is Grain Free whereas Eukanuba is grain inclusive and mixing the two may very well be what is causing the issue, you could try feeding the last meal of the day as Eukanuba and being the next day with solely Freedom. Some stomach upset may occur but should clear up within a couple of days. Also, try feeding 1/4 of a cup at a time rather than 1/3. Grain free foods have a tendency to be richer than grain inclusive foods and overfeeding is a big contribution to irritable digestive systems..

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you. If we feed her just eukanaba and no freedom tonight, should we add rice to it?

I would take in a second stool sample to once again rule out the possibility of parasites, Coccidia and Giardia. If tests come back clear once again, you may want to go back to feeding solely Eukanuba for at least a couple more weeks. It can take several weeks for a pup to fully adjust to a new enviorment and unsettled nerves can cause stomach issues to begin with, adding a new food on top of everything else may just be the straw that breaks the camels back. Once you have a stable routine down, then begin the slow transtion to the new food. Or given the fact that Freedom is Grain Free whereas Eukanuba is grain inclusive and mixing the two may very well be what is causing the issue, you could try feeding the last meal of the day as Eukanuba and being the next day with solely Freedom. Some stomach upset may occur but should clear up within a couple of days. Also, try feeding 1/4 of a cup at a time rather than 1/3. Grain free foods have a tendency to be richer than grain inclusive foods and overfeeding is a big contribution to irritable digestive systems..

·
Registered
933 Posts
I wouldn't, if I were to add anything it would be about a 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of pure canned pumpkin.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts