Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is a 5 lb, short hair chihuahua who spends most of her time inside, when we go for walks she doesnt usually get dirty. Depending on the area, her walks are both on and off leash. She does have a doggy odor which I find extremely pleasant! so I never get the urge to give her a bath. I did give her a bath yesterday (first in a long time) but that was only in hope of removing dead fur (I dont think it did much good). So am I ok or are baths a necessity?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would not call a bath a necessity, especially for a short haired dog that cannot matt. Have you thought of the dog wipes? I have never tried them, but I see them all the time and wish that I had dogs with hair short enought that I could use them

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I rarely bathe my dogs unless there's a specific reason. Usually just Pip in the summers when he's been swimming in the Mississippi River. I don't think I've ever bathed Maisy or Squash. But none of my current dogs really have an objectionable odor or anything, either. I used to have a Chessie I had to bathe every 4-6 weeks in the winters when she wasn't swimming regularly or she'd get pretty oily and stinky.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I bathe Miko maybe once or twice a year except in cases of incredible stankiness/filth. I would think you'd be fine.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Eddie, my Lab, rarely needs a bath. He gets one maybe once or twice a year. I can normally just brush dirt out of his coat and he's good.

Uallis, my Mastiff, has a shorter coat so he's not hard to bathe at all. He needs baths much more often though because dirt and grime just seems to stick to him. He gets a bath whenever he starts to stink or feels dirty, except in the winter and then I just use baby wipes and just wipe him down with warm water.

I just don't like a dog to be so dirty that my hands feel grimy and dirty after petting them, or if they have a bad odor. Actually, you don't want to bathe a dog THAT often as it strips the oil out of their coat leading to dry, itchy skin.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I agree with the above... if she isn't getting dirty and its not objectionable, then I think you are fine.

I bathe the Boys a few times a year. They get pretty dirty when we go out for a few days though. In the summer a hose pipe does the trick and wipes help out for in between.

·
Registered
731 Posts
At some point it may be necessary. I use doggy wipes in between just to keep them smelling fresh.

I mostly wipe when they come home from the dog park. I wipe their body down and then I wash their paws as I dont want them to go lick their paws that may come in contact with infected fecal matter.

I bathe when they just built up a dog smell and are greasy that the wipes dont help for more than a few days. This usually happens every 4-5 months for Gweeb who has a double coat that catches stuff, he smells like old oil and wet dog and itches more often. I don't know how it does it but he gets odd stuff matted onto himself....like last month he has some sort of syrupy substance on his back. From what? I dont know. Jezzy could go longer since she's a single coat but she enjoys her baths.

·
Registered
291 Posts
i usually just spray micks paws down with the hose before he comes in. only bath if the park is muddy and he is covered... and even then sometimes i let it dry and just brush it off.

·
Registered
11,256 Posts
If your dog isn't getting dirty and doesn't smell, then for a very short haired breed, i see no need for a full bath.
Instead of wipes, you can just just a damp washcloth to wipe over her coat to get dust or pollen off.
I also make sure to wipe or rinse my dogs paws if he walks on road salt in the winter or grass that has been sprayed (fertilizer or weed control) in the summer. You can also dunk her little paws in a bowl of water by the door and pat them dry with a handtowel.

I bath about 3-4 times per year, depending on what the dog had rolled in mostly. Out of courtesy, I bath him before he goes to my parents house if its been more than a month or so from his last bath. They do not have any pets and he is a big guy.
Brushing does more for shedding than bathing I think.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I don't fully bathe often...I usually get down and dirty every few months and clip the claws, shampoo and condition, clean ears, get down in every crevice, but other than that, I usually just hose off about once a month (with no shampoo) just to get the dust out of the coat since I always have Vladimir out in the desert hiking with me at least 4 times a week where he gets really dirt and dusty, especially if he chases rabbits (he kicks up so much dirt and dust like a horse!) But, most debris and dirt seems to just fall right out of borzoi coat and they are not a stinky dog and don't tend to get greasy.
I always am washing the feet though. Like every few days or so.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Jubel gets a bath every few months when his coat starts to get a little smelly and grimy feeling. We have towels by the doors for wiping off his feet and body if he's wet and/or muddy. Usually if he'd rolled around in the dirt a lot at the dog park I'd wipe him down with a wet paper towel when we got home and he'd be fine.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Sierra I bathe roughly biweekly to monthly depending on the activities we do. Misty usually only gets a bath every few months or after doing something that gets her stinky/dirty. I don't see any reason to bathe for the sake of bathing the dog. I wait until the smell or are dirty. I will use the dog wipes on their fur in between if only a leg or face is dirty. For a chi I bet you can get away with a good brushing and a few bath wipes.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
They are a necessity in my house because I can't stand a stinky dog. I hate it when I go to peoples houses and pet their dog and I can smell it on my hand. YUCK! My boys need baths more often then my old girls did. For some reason they just get stinkier then the girls did.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I wouldn't say that is it absolutely necessary, but the dog might actually like it. A nice warm bath may be soothing to her once and a while.
There's a reason that I don't envy groomers. Part of that reason is that I have yet to meet a dog that found bathing to be even remotely soothing.

The last dog I bathed expressed her anal glands.

My dog pancakes on me. Just dead weight bargaining with her God I'm sure.
She only gets a bath after rolling in something particularly disgusting like goose poop or a dead fish. Yummy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thx for all the responses. She doesnt enjoy baths an i love her doggy smell so its no more baths for her :)

As far as removing dead fur, i havnt found any brush or method that works..... maybe its because her fur is just too short cuz i have a grooming comb thingy that works wonderfully on my cat? I would really like to get the dead hair out tho cuz im tired of it shedding all over me and my furniture and floors p

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Those wipes tend to leave residue - kind of slimy after awhile.

My shorthaired dogs get bathed about 2 times per month, but that's certainly not what other people need to do. :)
That is a lot of bathing with all those dogs. I think you need to save some of your time and send Kaylee to me. :) I think Xeph wants Jayne too. That would help you a LOT wouldn't it?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts