Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
I agree that assertiveness can be genetically driven & managing her situations so that this never needs to come into play (with unfamiliar dogs) is best. I will, however, state that I disagree that other dogs won't ever stand their ground and/or challenge her 'assertiveness'. In my own household of three dogs, there is a very even balance of 'power' and (because we heavily manage situations that have the potential to become volatile) we very, very rarely have any dog-dog conflicts.
But! (there's always a 'but', isn't there? lol) Just the other day we had an altercation between two of our dogs who have lived together for over 10 years (Abby, 13.5 & Beckett, 11) They had just finished a high value chew on their individual mats. Both were finished, but Beckett was still licking his mat. Abby wandered into his space, started sniffing his mat & Beckett 'snarked' at her (IMO, this was a 'justifiable' snark, and I should have prevented it by redirecting Abby away before she was able to join B on his mat - my bad...) Abby, who is generally a placid, loves everyone & just wants to be a senior girl who still has fun, did NOT take kindly to the snark & went back at Beckett big time! We broke it up with one 'STOP' and nothing more than one little tooth puncture on B was had, but.... Yeah - even a benevolent Queen Bee must be carefully managed because IF they aren't immediately deferred to... trouble can and will ensue.
I guess what I'm saying is - Assertiveness is OK, just make sure to never put her in a situation that she feels the need to wield it.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.