Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a brand new puppy (6weeks). We assumed we needed a crate for sleeping. But the house we moved into is owned by people who had dogs and built in a dog 'room'. It has a doggie door to access outside, it is a large tiles and air conditioned space under the stairs, and has a half door that opens into the house. Can we just put a bed in there and use that as her crate?

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Can we just put a bed in there and use that as her crate?
Not if you expect her to be housebroken. The confinement to a small area keeps her from going until you put her where you want - namely, outside. She will likely never learn this without being taken out and praised for going. Hence, you watch them or you crate them and take them out from the crate. All the time.

It's also SAFER for her than this sounds like, honestly. It might be a good alternative to a playpen, but it's not a substitute for actually training, I don't think, and that involves being able to take her, see her go and praising her.

Also? WAY too young to be away from mom and siblings.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Probably would be fine, but the pup is likely to eliminate everywhere there. Plus, crate training is also useful when transporting the pup, or when you need another place for the pup. Believe me it will happen.

Welcome to the forum, but I have to ask, how did you acquire such a young pup?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the small doggie room we only figured on using for when she is sleeping. So we would be watching her all the other times and taking her out very often. And a couple times in the middle of the night which we've been told needs to happen.

And the pet store also said to get a crate that will fit her when she is grown, but it seems so huge. She is a german shorthaired pointer. But she is so small right now. He just said it would save us from buying a new crate in a few months. Is that the way to go?

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I believe the age question has been solved.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm actually really jealous of your dog room! I'd love one of them in my house! Obviously not while it's a puppy, but my pup is 7 months soon and he'd love it! But for the mean time, a crate. You can get the wire crates that come with dividers so you can divide it to make it much smaller to suit her current size, and as she grows, move the divider!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I vote for using a crate with the divider. It is such a good tool and a safe place to be for a pup/dog. It is a good idea to have them like a crate because it is handy in auto trips to the vet, hotels, camping, shopping ... a place to be if ever needed to go on an airplane ... etc. It is also much easier to clean than a whole room until the pup is potty trained completely.

It is a safe place for the pup to be to keep him from injuring himself or ingesting something bad when your back is turned ... believe me they are quick to get into things! Also a good place for them if you just need a few minutes to yourself. I cannot say enough good things about it.

The most important thing to remember is that a crate is a safe place and a place where all good things happen ... including meals, water, and treats and a bed. :) A crate is not for punishment ... ever.

Having dogs for over 50 years I can honestly say this is the best tool I have ever used. Crate training is new for me this last year or so. I love it. For many years I used a cardboard box! Can you believe it!? And the carpet was horrid to try and clean from potty accidents .... because they can happen if you are not properly paying attention! :/

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

A crate is used, b/c dogs generally don't like eliminating in their "den". This is why the above posters recommended one. You need a crate with a divider, as mentioned above, that can make the crate only large enough for the puppy to lie down in and turn around in - no bigger. As already stated, the space can be made larger by moving the divider as the pup grows.

Using a crate has other advantages. When the pup is spayed, the crate will be needed for the required period of confinement (about a week to 10 days). Also, depending on your vehicle, it can be used to safely transport your pet.

I wouldn't be without one. My westie mix, Maddie, sleeps in hers with the door open when we're home, so it's definitely not used as a "jail" - she loves it! As someone already stated, make it a good place by giving your pup treats and its meals in the crate. You can put it in your room at night to give the pup a sense of security with you nearby, especially since it was taken away from its mom and littermates way too soon. Be prepared to take your pup outside in the middle of the night for awhile. She's very young and can't hold it very long. During the day, take her out at least once an hour, after eating, after playing, after waking up from a nap, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts