Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my pup was doing great up until his accident. someone ran him over when he got loose, and after a very expensive surgery, we got him back sans tail. he was 7 months old at the time of the accident.

it took him about 4 months to fully recover, and hes doing great now, but unfortunately all of his previous good behavior is gone. well, not everything but he constantly pees all over the house. hes not neutered, and he has already started marking.

before his accident he was peeing and pooping on his puppy pads. after the accident, and up until now hes urinating everywhere, hes marking every corner in the house, and hes fully relieving himself on the legs of the chairs in the dining room. my girlfriend is at her wits end, and im tired of sponging up urine for an hour after i get home from work. we leave at least 3 pads out for him during the day, he will use them at night no problem.

actually he does not urinate when we are home, only when we are out. perfect example, i left for 10 minutes to run a quick errand, and he relieved himself on the leg of the dining room chair, not 10 inches away from his puppy pad.

i cant kill him, hes too cute. but i dont know what to do anymore.

here he is in all his awesome glory. (i taught him how to beg just last week)

so my question is, what kind of success will i have attempting to crate the dog so he can be confined while we are out? is these even the route i should go down? this is my first dog, he has two cat brothers. they were toilet trained pretty easily.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I think this is definitely the route you should go. I don't know how well it works if the dog doesn't consider the crate it's bed.. since dogs naturally try to keep the area in which they sleep clean (they won't potty there). But if he doesn't sleep in his crate then I'm not sure he won't go to the bathroom in it. Maybe start putting him in the crate at night, so it becomes his bed.

And no, I don't think a dog can ever be too old to be taught something new, such as crate training.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, my girlfriend has him accustomed to sleeping on our bed.

that is going to be a really difficult thing to break.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Dogs can be crate trained at any age - don't worry that you missed your chance :) Just make sure you get the right size crate (not too big) and keep it a positive experience with realistic expectations - crate training isn't an instant cure, but it will be worth the effort.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Is it just pee, or does he poop indoors too? If it's just pee, then it sounds like he's scent marking.

Did you 'baby' him after his accident? Unconsciously, you may have ceded him higher social status following his injury. I don't like the 'dominance' school of training (it often causes more longer-term problems than it solves), but you do need to set boundaries of behavior. Only allow him on the bed/couch if he's invited, make him sit/stay before feeding & walks, etc.

15 months is a little old for puppy pads - and, to be honest, so was 7 months. Even before the accident, he probably should have been housetrained with a regular walking schedule. If he's going every time you leave, take him out for a walk to clear his bladder just before you leave the house. Try using ice cubes in his water bowl when you leave for long periods - he'll get the same amount of water, but it will be spread out over a longer period of time. Praise & treat him every time he goes outside.

Also, be sure to scrub down every corner of the house with an enzymatic cleaner to rid yourself of the urine scent. Dogs noses are much, much more sensitive than ours, and urine crystals are giant flashing neon signs that say, 'pee here'. Regular household cleaners will disinfect, but don't bind to urea the same way.

Last, but not least, sweet Jeebus that's an adorable little fellow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts