Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I might be getting a Havanese/Maltese mix next week.(depending on when their ready) Which would be 7 weeks. My mom says we might have to wait another week because they might not be ready but i've been researching and people say we should take them home at 7 weeks. Is this true? If it isn't what week would be the best? He looks kinda like my picture but he has darker hair.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I'm a big fan of waiting. However, I've heard that for smaller breeds it's better to wait even longer (12 weeks, if I remember right?)... hopefully somebody who knows for sure will fill in.

·
Registered
689 Posts
You're mom is right--7 weeks is too early to bring your little guy home. The rule of thumb is to bring puppies home at 8 weeks or older.

The pup needs the extra time with his mother so she can teach him things like bite inhibition :)

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I would definitely wait at least one more week, if not more. Puppies learn a lot from being around their mama and brothers and sisters, including (but not limited to) bite inhibition and puppy manners. It really is beneficial to stay with mother til at least 8 weeks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been hearing alot of different answers. Some people say 7 weeks is the best, some say its way to early. Maybe it's just ur personal opinion?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I don't know about personal opinion but in a lot of states it's illegal to sell a puppy before 8 weeks of age.

Also what do you know about the havanese and maltese breeds? Most breeders who are knowingly mixing breeds are doing so only for money and tend to skimp on things like health testing. I don't know much about those two breeds but if they have any health issues you should ask the breeder if the parent's have been tested for them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the breeder is my moms cousin so I trust her. I have been doing alot of research on both breeds and they generally don't have any health problems.I don't think it's illegal to sell a dog before 8 weeks in my home state. I'm not positive on this though.

·
Registered
468 Posts
In general 8 weeks is the minimum, but for small breeds like havanese or maltese you should wait until they are 12 weeks old. 7 weeks is still waaay too young for a Toy breed, not a matter of opinion just the facts. I have a Yorkie and a Maltese and I could not imagine getting them that young, they still need their mama so much at that age.

Please make sure you are getting a puppy from an ethical breeder than has done all the genetic health tests necessary. If not you could be setting yourself up for lots of vet bills $$$. Like patchworkrobot said, most ethical breeders do not breed mutts. Don't support puppy mills or backyard breeders.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Ya i'm getting him from my moms cousin who I trust completelty. She said around 7-8 weeks so i dont know.
Did she intentionally breed them? Did she run tests on the parents? Just because your relative owns the puppies doesn't mean they have been tested for genetic diseases. Don't take this the wrong way, but if she is letting Havanese/Maltese mixes go at 7-8 weeks she probably didn't do the testing either.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Eight weeks at a minimum. As previously stated:

Puppies learn a lot from being around their mama and brothers and sisters, including (but not limited to) bite inhibition and puppy manners.
Many breeders hang on to smaller dogs for even longer. Clayton was 11 weeks when I brought him home, for instance. But I would never get a pup before eight weeks.

·
Registered
468 Posts
There are a variety of things that should have been tested for, including eye exams, hip dysplasia, certain breed specific diseases, and I think there is also an autoimmune one where you test the thyroid, among other things.

If you go ahead with the purchase of the puppy, I HIGHLY suggest you start saving because if this was just an accidental breeding or a "just for fun because I loooove puppies" breeding be prepared to spend a lot of money on vet bills. Also, PLEASE try to get her to keep them at least to ten-twelve weeks. You have no idea how beneficial those weeks are to puppies.

·
Super Moderator
11,848 Posts
Sorry, it sounds like you've already made up your mind and aren't really interested in differing opinions here.

Please don't waste these nice folks' time if you don't really want opinions. Your mother's cousin has a vested interest in getting those pups out of the house ASAP and is not likely to tell you if there's a problem.

·
Registered
468 Posts
The problem with that is that certain diseases or illnesses don't show up without a specific test done. They could just be carriers with no symptoms and pass it on, so I would be worried if no testing was done. Even if my own mother bred puppies I would worry about her doing the proper genetic testing, it isn't about trusting someone because they are family.

I am sure she would tell you guys if there was a problem but she may not even KNOW that there is one to begin with without having these tests done. You are probably going to end up buying this puppy, so just please start putting money aside. Every owner getting a dog should put money aside regardless of breed/lineage, but someone getting a puppy from untested parents should be especially be prepared to pay for treatment for things like hip dysplasia, liver shunts, etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well i have over 300 bucks and me and my sister are splitting the cost of 150 dollars. ($75 each) Thanks for the advice or I would not be prepared at all! Thank you so much.

·
Registered
468 Posts
That pretty much confirms that no testing was done. Testing costs hundreds of dollars, breeders who have taken the proper care and testing usually charge at least $500.

Don't take this the wrong way, but 300 dollars is not very much at all when it comes to caring for a living animal. How are you going to afford his care if something happens? Most vets charge 50-85 dollars just to walk in the door. Vaccines cost around 20 bucks and since he is young he will have several of those done this year. Spaying or neutering costs around 200-300 dollars, 30-50 dollars a month on food, wee wee pads every week, $15 leash, $20 harness, puppy training classes, etc. That 300 will be gone in the blink of an eye.

Also, there are low cost clinics BUT those are generally for people who are down on their luck and fell on hard times. Do NOT get a puppy if a low cost clinic is all you can afford.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts