Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been offered a puppy from the next litter of a friend, whom i helped out a lot last year. she's a very high sort after breeder and her dogs are awesome. anyhoo....irish setter breeders unite and tell what you can about the antics of this truly magnificent breed....so i can decide if i want one. I currently own a bc, jaack russell, mastiff and GSD...whom are all very sociable with other dogs, I have in the past owned a few goldies...are they anything like those?

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I asume this ladies dogs are so highly soght after because she shows them? if thats the case a conformation bloodline IS has a VERY long silky coat that takes extra care, and can tangle easily. but sorry my only experiance with IS is from grooming them.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
she does show them, but uses them also for hospital therapy dogs and they are sort after as hunters and pets. just an all round great family asset

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
My uncle had a beautiful Irish Setter when I was little. She was a gorgeous dog and very friendly, but also dumb as a rock. But I can't speak as to her breeding, training, or anything else.....I was only 5 at the time.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does she have a website or anything about her dogs?
I don't know, i just know her through a friend and i've been to her house to help out...never even thought to ask

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Talk to TXcollies- she'll probably be on tomorrow evening. She's getting an IS next year from a really spectacular breeder with dual-purpose dogs. (CH/MH/OTCH type dual purpose.)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Irish Setters can be big clowns and are full of mischief. They can alo be great escape artists. We had a neighbor who had one that used to escape almost daily while they were at work and go down to the beach to play with all the people there. The police or AC would round him up (they knew him by name) and call our neighbor at work to come bail him out.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
No time to really chat, I'm just popping in for a sec - more time later.

If you want a golden type, get a golden. :p But Irishmen are NOT goldens and don't act like them. If you have the sense of humor, and are willing to deal with them, and willing to blow off the wisecracks coming from other trainers about them, are willing to work your tail off training them, and are patient, they are, imo, better than any golden or lab. ;-)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts