Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our two dogs have been through a lot the last month, and I am sure that the invisible fence training isn't helping. Quick background: We purchased a new home and moved, and two weeks before the move we had to put down our basset hound due to medical issues. So, they have had more than their share of change in the past month!

They are two German Shorthaired Pointers, and we have recently moved to an acreage so they have room to run! Dice our three year old male has figured out the boundary and doesn't test them. His problem is that he won't go in the yard by himself unless we coax him out and play fetch.

Gypsey our eight year old female won't go in the yard. We have tried to show her that the flags are the boundaries, but all she wants to do is sit in the yard. She doesn't play fetch, so we can't even make it fun for her. We've tried running with her in the yard, but it ends up with her laying in the yard refusing to move. This is even without her getting close to the boundary.

Dice has always been very dependent on our other two dogs (now one), so we are guessing until Gypsey feels comfortable out there, he won't go in the yard by himself.

Any ideas on how to fix our problem? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Relax, let the world take a couple spins. these are dogs not robots. I am assuming these 2 played with your Bassetts Thats #1, moving out of old reliable territory that's #2, moving into new territory that's #3, you have changed with the 2 dogs PTSd you're not robots either that's #4 then add excitement of move and all that goes with that #5. I could go further but I think you get the idea. Is the electric fence a new program too, If it is that's #s 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10. Just act as natural as you can and your dogs should adjust. Keep a daily journal of what they do so you can check at the end of each month. Again relax and good luck in your new home.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We figured all of the change is delaying the training. We will just have to keep at it, and hope it gets better! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
We figured all of the change is delaying the training. We will just have to keep at it, and hope it gets better! Thanks!
My dad's dogs acted like this when he put in his invis fence at first too. They would only stand right in the middle of the yard and not move. Eventually they realized where the boundaries are, and don't even need a visual like a flag. I wouldn't reccommend this for a higher drive dog like a GSP, but my dads cockers don't even need their collars any more. They know the boundaries and don't even push them when they have the collars off.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Sorry what does a invis fence mean?
It's a wire that is buried a few inches beneath the ground that you run in a perimeter around your yard. It emits an RF signal that is picked up by a special collar worn by your dog. When the dog gets near it, it first vibrates to remind them it's there. If the dog continues to approach the fence it will send out a mild electric shock. The closer the dog gets, the more intense the shock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts