Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I bought an invisible fence today. We ran the wire, and got it working. Though I have a question about the training for it.
The steps the dvd has on it are like this.
You walk up to the flags, the collar beeps and you run backwards away from it and reward the dog. Do this for roughly two or three days till the dog refuses to go past the flags. This is all done without the metal prongs on it, so the dog doesn't feel the shock.
After that you do the same thing, but with the metal prongs, so if the dog does go over the boundary, they get shocked, you can adjust the level of the shock.
Step three is supervised off leash.
Then unsupervised.

I tried the whole walking one of the dogs towards the flags, here the beep and run backwards. I'm a little unsure of the whole method, anyone got any better ideas? Or should I just follow it through with what the dvd says?

Ok, just for anyone whose interested. I put the box on the lowest setting, and shocked my hand. It was fairly unpleasent, like a really bad static shock. I wouldn't say it hurt persay, but I would avoid the flags if I had one of those strapped to my neck lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
im not sure about the steps but i would be careful with that sort of fence becuase i have heard of people using them but if the dog sees something they really want outside the fence the shock will go straight out of their head as they race towards whatever got their attention. if they are running full pelt they will feel the shocl but will be past it long before they take much notice. if this does happen then you have the problem that if the dog wants to come back then he will have to get a shock to get back inside. .. if it was me i would just stay out there.

just advising you to not rely solely on the 'fence'

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did alot of research on the matter before I bought the fence. All of my dogs are very soft, Kali accidentaly got herself shocked, I didn't know the collar was on, and she wouldn't go near the flags again. With proper training, and carefulness it's not hard to make the fences work. My neighbor got one for their five month old lab, and they've had it about a month, she minds it perfectly.
I know alot of people don't like the Invisible Fences, but I really want to try it, with some work it'll be great.
So far my ten month old lab/husky mix has really done well, she avoids the flags already, but she hasn't learned to turn away from them when it beeps. She's so tall it doesn't always beep lol,

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I would follow the directions exactly. Actually, I would consult with a trainer who is familiar with such things and possibly get their help. This is one thing you want them to be sure to be trained properly on.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have the same fence and I'm 50/50 on it. In some ways I love it in the front yard because if I'm out working in the flower bed or something Taylor can hang with me, but as far as treating it like a wood fence... never, Everytime he's out back for a pee I'm standing at the door, he can never be alone. Once you have a squirrel or a dog run into your yard, if your not there watching to give commands, all bets are off. He will run through the fence, and going fast enough he doesn't even flinch. I do miss having a wood fence, I could toss him outside and never have to worry or supervise pee breaks *L.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I can understand that lol.
My neighbors have an invisible fence, and I was astounded with their lab Koda. She will not walk or run across it for anything. I watched her chase a rabbit yesterday, it ran across the line in the driveway and she stopped about a foot short where her collar beeps.
I don't plan on treating this like a wood fence, but for the sake of giving me peace of mind that I can have my dogs in my yard with me, and know that they aren't going anywhere yet.
Btw thanks Fouriscompany, I called the lady at our local club, she uses clicker training and said that the steps sounded pretty good. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts