Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am the proud owner of a 12-yr-old GSD named Jessie. She has arthritis, hip dysplasia, and spondylosis of the spine in three places. But she has (luckily) a high pain threshold and lots of spirit. One fairly recent development is a sore front shoulder. I suspect she injured it some time ago leaping from the car (I seem to recall a bad landing when the curb was at an awkward distance). That worries me most of all because she handles the hips okay, not limping back there and sitting and walking normally, except for climbing stairs.

I'm trying to get her weight down--she weighs 90 lbs, about ten more than she should and maybe 15 more than would be ideal, given her joint problems. She's on a raw diet (which she loves). I've cut her back recently to two chicken legs for breakfast. She still gets just under a pound of ground pork or turkey for dinner. Sometimes I give her giblets or chicken backs or necks just for variety.

One difficulty that's come up in the last couple of years is dog attacks. Because she's old, I assume, some dogs will lunge at her. She does have a lot 'tude, even at her age, so it could be simply the message she gives out. But she's gotten nervous about other dogs, starting to lunge at them before they can get a chance to go for her. This makes me uptight whenever I spot another dog, although often I ask if the dog's friendly and then just monitor the situation. Frequently I will spot the other dog's lip curling and hear a soft growling start up. The owner too often seems oblivious to these signs of hostility.

If anyone has any advice for me on feeding, arthritis, or dog aggression, I'd love to hear it. (I do have her on glucosamine and fish oil as well as Metacam, all of which may be helping.)

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Hi and welcome!

I have one girl (mix breed) with hip dysplasia and I have recently started giving her yucca powder (along with all the regular additives) for inflamation and it made a marked improvement in her movement. She hasn't needed an adequan shot since we started the yucca. I just give her 1/2 t per day mixed into her food. It's just ground yucca root.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and welcome!

I have one girl (mix breed) with hip dysplasia and I have recently started giving her yucca powder (along with all the regular additives) for inflamation and it made a marked improvement in her movement. She hasn't needed an adequan shot since we started the yucca. I just give her 1/2 t per day mixed into her food. It's just ground yucca root.
Thanks! I'll try this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts