Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going home to my family next week, and I am of course bringing my 3 month old puppy. She is very submissive, sweet, and scared of EVERYTHING (loud noises, other dogs, other people, remote controls, and the list goes on..) She is great with my roommates dog; they are best friends and both are puppies. My family however, has a small little mutt (Bailey), who is 7 yrs old and minorly grouchy. I am very afraid she is going to beat up little Kali since it's HER house, HER yard, HER family etc. I know not to keep the dogs on tight leashes, and try and introduce them outside in the big yard, and for me to stay calm. We will be staying there all week, so it would be great if I didn't mess this introduction up, and if they would get along/exist peacefully. Any tips or ideas would be appreciated!

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I would have them meet on neutral ground, not the back yard. Then walk them together, and head for home. Keep the puppy on lead (tether her to you), so that she doesn't constantly bug the older dog (the way puppies are apt to do), and that way the older dog can choose to make contact, or not.

Feed them separately, and be watchful about toys or chewies.

You never know, the old grouchy dog just might be delighted with the new puppy.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Usually even grouchy old dogs will tolerate puppy antics until about 16 weeks of age. Follow Poodleholics advice and you should be fine.
Watch your emotions....dogs pick-up on that concern/fear in a heartbeat. If you're nervous, they will be too. If you're relaxed and confident they'll follow your lead.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts