Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My best friend and I would like to have our dogs get to know each other. Her dogs do not go to dog parks, do not see other dogs ever. My dog on the other hand, goes to dog parks, goes on rides to my moms house, where there are 3 other dogs, and plays all the time. I just let her go and she plays, and gets to know everyone. We have tried to have our dogs get to know each other but she introduces her dogs so differntly then I do. She has mini dachshunds, I have a yorkie. She will hold onto her dog with her arm completely around the chest of the dog and will keep a hold on it the whole time her dog investigates my dog. I mean, a tight hold. If she sees anything that would cause suspicious behavior she yanks the dog back and wont let it near mine. Or, she lets them sniff for a couple mins, then says...thats enough for a few mins. Take a break and holds the dog the whole time and then kneels back down and while still holding it lets it sniff my dog again. I feel as though her dog is feeding off her nervous behavior and feels like it should be on guard. I on the other hand, know that my dog has never had aggressive behavior and let her do her thing with meeting new pups. If I sense that things could get out of control with one or the other, I will remove her from the situation.

What is your thoughts??

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Walk each dog for 15 min or so to take the edge off, meet up, and walk dogs together briskly without stopping/sniffing for another 20 min. Then go back to your house, and if you have a back yard, continue walking yours on a leash around backyard, and have her drop her dogs leash, so he can follow yours and sniff while you are walking. Then drop your dogs leash. Step away from dogs and let them meet.
I suggested her dropping her dog's leash first, because she would have a tight hold on it, and may encourage leash aggression. Your dog is already socialized, and should be ok with being on a leash. Stepping away from the dogs once the leashes are dropped is helpful, to avoid having one get jealous/resource guard.

What she is doing now will make the dog leery, and more likely to be aggessive.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts