Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help...I have an 8 month old cattle dog mix (we don't know what the dad is) that is extremely high energy. I've had her since she was 2 months old and is severely attached to me, and hates it when I leave, her anxiety is very bad. I have tried everything except putting her on medication and I kind of impulsively made the decision to get another dog today without fully thinking it through in hopes that having a companion would help her.
The shelter I got the new dog from was at capacity and about to start euthanizing dogs if no one adopted, so I got her for free. She is a border collie mix, 3 years 9 months, who has an infection due to a food allergy (they believe,) so I know she is not feeling well. I made the terrible mistake of introducing them in the house. I know you are supposed to introduce in neutral territory, but my sister was at work and I had no help in the introduction. Well, my puppy was very interested and immediately wanted to investigate the new dog, and the new dog was not having it. She immediately growled and snapped at the puppy, which scared her. Now the new dog is in the bathroom and pup is on the couch with me, but each time pup approaches even a little the new dog growls and is not cool with her at all. What should I do? Is this simply how dogs act and they will get used to each other? Or is the intro a strong indication that they will not get along? And is the new dog simply acting like this because it's a new environment and she doesn't feel well? I'm already so stressed out about it and really want them to get along.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
It's not a good sign but keep them apart and protect the new dog from exuberant puppy and it might work. Do you have a crate or exercise pen or baby/pet gate? If not get something and have new dog inside for now. Take her out every hour to potty and pop her right back in. Practice good manners getting out, no digging or vocalizing as you approach and use a leash for pottying. Keep silly pup away from her on these short trips and use tiny treats for leashing up, pottying and returning to confinement. After a few days trade dogs off and have her with a dragging leash and puppy confined. Then take her for short walks then walk them together but one on each side of you and finally have dragging leashes on both dogs and if there's anything at all going on put one dog away. Staring, stiffness are bad signs, put dog up if you see anything like that. Be sure to teach her house rules when she's out on her own so she understands to get off the sofa, wait at the door and for her food and so on. At first feed them out of sight of one another, some dogs even need their own water bowls. If you give a chew then be sure they are separated. Assume the worst and relax as you learn all about her basically.

Ginger does not like Bucky much. He's a rude bouncer, gooser and humper. If I had just had them together from day one she probably would have felt the need to 'correct' him by snarling and such but since they got to know one another over a couple weeks without any contact she figured out yes he's rude but mostly harmless and he was immediately removed if he bounced etc. I am in charge so Ginger doesn't have to be is the lesson here.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts