Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am getting a puppy in the near future. My parents live rather close and I visit often as we have a close relationship. My parents have 2 amazing dogs (I grew up with them), but one of my dogs has gotten worse about being with other dogs. I will start by saying he is a Scottish Terrier and most of my parents Scotty’s are not the best with other dogs. He grew up with my other parent’s dog which is an Airedale, so they coexist fine. He always barks in public when he sees other dogs and now with his older age he has gotten somewhat aggressive when in contact with other dogs. I am trying not to rag on him too much because he loves every human known to man and is super sweet otherwise.
Anyways, since I am getting a puppy, I eventually want to bring it over to be with my family and hangout, but I am worried about my parent’s dog. Is there any way to help try to combat this behavior?
FullSizeRender 2.jpg IMG_4467.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello, You did not mention the breed or age of you're new pup but regardless you have a great opportunity to introduce the dogs with the close proximity of you're parents. here are a few suggestions to get you started. Have 1 parent take the scotty for a walk where you will join them down the block. Stay an arm length away and greet them with just a hello and continue the walk talking with you're parent. Do not have you're parent greet you're dog or fawn over it etc. Before you even start this step you should have your pup introduced to the leash at a separate time. If you're pup cannot walk on a leash even for a short time then carry it and place it down once in a while without ceremony and them pick it up and continue the walk. On the way back you take the scotty and you're parent takes the pup. Repeat this without a formal intro [dog to dog] for a week if possible [ Also do this with the airedale, but not both of parents dogs yet] The dogs who both know you may be fine with this but it does not mean it is o.k to place the pup into their yard if they seem to be doing good. Keep this up even if they do good right from the start. You should also get a playpen for the pup to have set up at the parents house and the pup should be in it for another week before any freedom is allowed over there. Also if you can do this at a time when it is quiet on the block [ not dog walking time, like 1st thing in the morning or after work] it will help the ST to be less reactive, which will help both dogs. Now this advice is general and there are many ways to go about this but lets see how step one goes and hope for a good reaction. Also don't forget you're new pup will need to be socialized with well mannered dogs as well[ I don't mean the ST is not well mannered just that you're pup will need more than just you're parents dogs for good socialization]. Have fun and remember it is not the end of the world if it can't be manged as it is pretty easy to keep the dogs separated while visiting if required.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts