Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're going to get a new dog or puppy in the not so distant future, and I was wondering what you would suggest when it comes to introducing them to our current dogs?

Our 14yo just doesn't care anymore and has been doing great with every single dog that has come through our front door, but the young one is leash reactive and I'm a bit nervous about that. She's been around other dogs and always did fine when she was not leashed though, even in our backyard.

We're still leaning towards a puppy, which would probably make it easier, but how does it work when you want to adopt an adult dog and the rescue wants the dogs to meet? (which I'm fine with, it's just not going to work if my dog is leashed).

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
My dog is leash reactive, but I've found an interesting workaround for meeting new dogs in a somewhat controlled manner - we meet them in the car. He sits in the front seat and will sniff the new dog and then we get out and he isn't reactive at all. But if he met the same dog outside of the car, he'd be way over threshold. So if your dog has any quirk like that, I'd utilize it.

Perhaps put the new dog/puppy in a pen, and allow interaction with the pen separating them, then if all seems to be going well, let your dog or both dogs go with leashes dragging in case you have to grab them. (With a puppy, I'd keep the puppy on leash or in your arms while letting your dog sniff and such, but with an older dog keeping one dog on the leash could result in more leash reactivity).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts