Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks...
I have a 14 year old male staffy named Bounder, and 2 days ago got a 2 month old, female border collie cross, named Keira. They're not getting along, and i thought maybe you guys can come up with some ideas as to how I can help.

I've had Bounder since he was a pup, and hes been the well spoiled center of my life since I was a kid. He has always been very affectionate, not just towards me, but other people and other dogs too. We've had grown up dogs join the family for up to a year at a time, and he's had plenty of other opportunities to socialize. There has never been a problem, but this new puppy is different. This is the first time we've had a new addition to the family that he didn't get to know properly first, and she's also the first puppy. He's jealous.

The puppy came from a litter from my dad's dogs, and Bounder's first experience of them was something like a noisy, bad mannered hurricane with teeth. He spent most of his time with them stranded on a chair, desperately trying to keep his arthritic extremities away from teeth and claws, and his eyes were bulging like these evil little things are a serious threat. Not the best start.

I chose the most calm and placid of all the pups, cause Bounder is too old to be dealing with a lot of drama. She tries to be friendly with him, and he wants nothing to do with her. She follows him around at a safe distance, cautiously attempts to make friends, and seems genuinely sad that he rejects her. When I'm fussing over him I can see her bursting with excitement, but still unsure about coming too close. He wont look at her, and if she comes near him he will move away. He always wants to play, but if she tries to join in he will growl at her until she backs off, or he'll just go and sit in the corner and the game will stop. She's been nipped for coming too close to his squeeky ball, and his dinner, and she learned pretty fast that those are off limits. He's become very sulky, and the poor puppy gets no attention at all because I don't want to cause any more problems between them.

I'm quite sure that things will settle down in time, but right now all three of us are unhappy, and really anything I can do to ease the situation would be worth it. I'm trying to give him a lot more attention than usual, and a lot more than I give her, and I'm not totally sure that it's the right thing to do. It seems right, but it's certainly not helping much as far as I can tell.

So now that she's here, what can I do to help my grumpy old dog accept her?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I'm trying to give him a lot more attention than usual, and a lot more than I give her, and I'm not totally sure that it's the right thing to do.
Do you put her away (crate) and have one-on-one time with Bounder? He needs to feel protected from the "puppy energy" that the new girl is full of. Spend quality time with each of them.

Also, make the time the puppy is around extra special for Bounder. Maybe give his some chicken liver treats while the puppy is in the room. He should get a VERY special treat and reward when he's calm around the puppy.

I would protect him 100% of the time if he's not ready to deal with the puppy. He needs to know that you'll prevent this little demon with sharp teeth from even touching him.

That's how I introduced my puppies to our older, arthritic girl. I had to protect her 100%. It might take weeks or longer, but Cara eventually realized that having the puppy around wasn't so bad because I gave lots of good attention (back rubs, treats) when the pup was in the room.

I suggest baby gates to keep them in separate rooms, a crate for the puppy or have her leashed around Bounder until things smooth over.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thankyou :)
Yes, she has her own basket but she's pretty much free to roam around at this point. It's hard to keep them in different rooms since it's winter and there's not enough heater to go around. Baby gates are a very good idea!

If I could only make him understand how important he still is to me everything would be ok. lol

·
Registered
566 Posts
Elva,

Give it time. My Sadie is just starting now to accepting Kina.

The other day, I walk into the living room and found both of them on the mat each chewing on a bully stick.

This is very unsual because, like your situation, Sadie wanted nothing to do with Kina. (She wouldn't even drink out of the same bowl as Kina, she wouldn't even step on the same grass Kina had been on!!)

I was crying wondering what I had done. I felt horrible for poor Sadie.

What I did was, I made sure Sadie had her own space to retreat to, when Kina got to be too much. And I let Sadie put Kina in her place. Now Kina will leave Sadie alone and they do tollerate each other. Yet don't keep them apart from each other all the time.

They aren't the best of friends, and I doubt they ever will be, but are learing to live with each other.

I also think by walking them together has helped as well.

We've going on two month of having Kina now, and it is getting better.

Like I mentioned before, I found them both on the mat together. And Sadie will even chew on the same bully stick that Kina had been chewing on.

And again, just make sure that you do give Bounder extra attention.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Sometimes if you don't do intro's right, you've made it very hard for the old dog to like the new dog.

How did you introduce them?

You should take them for walks together, it will help them bond. But give your old dog special one on one time.

·
Registered
637 Posts
i had the same problem with GSD and Bc cross...I took them on a 3 hour walk together, it really helps them bond, they feel as if they are a PACK MOVING TOGETHER...oops caps....after that walk they've been inseparable

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks guys :)

We have since been camping together, and I think it helped. It was a neutral place, so nobody was intruding. With lots of people around, lots of space, and lots to see and do, they had a good chance to have fun without each other and nobody was starved of attention. I'm seeing less evil looks from bounder, and on rare occasions what looks like interest and amusement, especially when she's being told off. I guess things might not be so bad after all!

He wont eat until he's allowed to finish what remains of keira's food, and then he will eat his own, it's silly but I guess it works. She's still not allowed to touch his toys, and he appears to have claimed all of hers (lol) but she just finds others and sometimes I think hes tempted by what she's found. I think... perhaps, maybe, he will give in eventually and play with her. It's weird, squeeky toys are the only thing more appealing than chocolate for bounder and I have never seen one last longer than 5 minutes before its chewed up and no longer squeeky. He got 2 new ones on the same day we brought the puppy home, and they're both still in perfect condition.

I now have a wall of boxes separating half of my kitchen for the puppy. Its a little annoying but seems to be helping a lot and well worth it. To start off with she couldn't get within a meter of him without him moving away. Still, she abandoned her bed and slowly moved into his comfort zone until she was allowed to put her head on just the corner of his bed, then sit on it beside him, and now even climb on him (sometimes) hehe. Instead of moving away, or glaring at her, he now just tells her to piss off when she's crossed a line, and apparently she respects him more than she does me. I might have to work on that :D Anyway it's great that he now feels comfortable enough to tell her off cause I don't have to worry so much about protecting him.

The initial introduction probably couldn't have been worse, but I stupidly thought it wouldn't be an issue because he's always great with other dogs. I spend a bit of time at my dad's place anyway, and always bring bounder with me, so there were a few days when he was forced to endure whole days of not just one, but six puppies. They have the lounge room fenced off to contain the mess, but those fences trap an old arthritic dog just as well as a puppy. It was awkward getting him in and out of the puppy zone, and of course he wanted to be wherever the people were. I do regret not planning this better, but It looks like it will work out.

Walking is a bit of an issue, cause bounder really cant do much of anything. He's not just arthritic, he has cancer too. There's a lump on his foot that makes it hard for him to get around, but the vet says it probably isn't worth cutting off because it wont heal well and it will just grow back anyway. Besides that he has a new lump in his neck that I'm getting rather worried about. Last night he started choking, and seemed like he was having trouble breathing. He pants a lot anyway, probably heart problems, but this was different. A serious neck message resolved the issue pretty quick, but if that lump is responsible it's only going to get worse. I have spent close to $2000 this year on vet bills trying to make his life easier, money I don't have to spend, and honestly I think it wont be long before he's beyond fixing. At least for now he's a happy dog, and I hope it lasts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts