Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! My husband and I are currently fostering a sweet hound dog named Penny. We think she's an English Coonhound mix, about 3 years old. She was rescued from a high kill shelter and was heartworm positive, so we're taking care of her while she recovers from the treatment. We plan to adopt her when she's all better. This is our first dog (although we both grew up with dogs, our parents did most of the work!) and I'm glad to have found this forum with such a wealth of information!

Here's Penny:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi! I'm new here too. I'm in a similar situation - I just got my dog Roscoe from a shelter and he is heartworm positive. I'm excited that I can help him get better and can give him a loving home. I'm a little scared about all it entails but it's good to know that other people go through such things with their pets and can give advice.

Penny is really pretty, by the way!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Saying prayers for both of you with your HW+ dogs!!

Don't worry - with the support of a good vet, lots of love and care, and a LOT of rest - there is every possibility that your dogs will pull through just fine. Willow, too, was HW+ when we adopted her, and because we did a split treatment, she had 2 months of no exercise, play, or time away from home. It was VERY hard for a 2-year-old Husky to chill out this long, but we got through it together, and today Willow is strong, active, and none worse for the wear.

You'll be counting the days until the treatment is over - believe me - but just take the time to do basic training instead. It will be over before you know it. :)

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Butch was HW+ when I got him. We will celebrate our 5th anniversary in August. Like Nekomi said, with a good vet and LOTS of rest, Penny & Roscoe should be fine. Good luck and keep us posted. This is a fabulous place for info, support and lots of laughs!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome everyone! :D It's good to know that others have gone through this process. I'm so glad Willow and Butch came through it alright! Heartworms can be so horrible. After this I will never miss a monthly preventative, I can guarantee that!!

The hardest part so far is that Penny feels fine and she just wants to run and play! I have started basic training to help her have something to do to pass the time and we got her lots of interesting toys but I know she misses being able to run around outside. We're pretty sure she has never been an indoor dog before because she was terrified of all the normal household sounds (doors opening, toilets flushing, even lights being turned on) for the first couple of weeks. She is adjusting though, now she won't go outside if it's raining. :D

hgrace, Good luck with Roscoe! I hope his recovery goes smoothly. It's not the easiest route to take on a dog with special needs but I think they know in some way what we're doing for them!

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Welcome to the forum and best of luck with Penny's HW treatment. She will be fine in no time and I can't wait to hear more about her. She is a pretty lady. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts