Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Evening everyone,

I found this forum while browsing around doing some research and figured i'd introduce myself. I recently rescued a (estimated) 14 month old pit bull after he was thrown out of the back of a truck..i happened to see it happen and was a few cars behind. Nobody stopped but I wanted to make sure he was all right. He wasn't hurt much from being thrown, at least not physically.

I ended up taking him to the vet for shots, a skin scraping as it appears he has some sort of dermititis and I wanted to make sure it wasn't mange or anything and they also offered to temperment test him as well.

He has a clean bill of health, slightly underweight, skin scraping came back clean the vet thinks it might be a flea allergy and put him on pro meris, no signs of aggression towards animals at all..will let you play with his fear, his mouth, ears, clip his nails, play with his food, etc... he's a very friendly happy boy who may not have had the best start in life.

He is set to be neutered in 4 weeks!

So here you go, meet Grimm

I never saw myself owning a pit bull, i grew up with a pit bull mix and she lived to be about 16 years old..one of the best dogs my family ever owned. I think he just kind of found me and I wasn't really looking for another dog but his personality is so amazing considering what he has been through. He's a huge cuddle bug, doesn't jump on people and actually almost crawls up to people which is very helpful with kids and such who might be afraid of him.

I can't wait to see how he opens up and see his personality develop!

Thank you for having such a helpful forum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you alphadog...also this might be a dumb question and i'm not sure if people can post links for places to buy dog collars..but I can't find many dog collars to fit around his neck!

So I think I might need to order one online..I really like leather..of all places walmart was the only place where I found an adjustable nylon collar that would go big enough to fit around his neck. I didn't really want one of those huge thick collars just a normal dog collar...i'd really like something even with a padding or soft material..as you can tell he needs to grow some of his hair back..so I don't want anything that will rub up against his skin and stop it from growing back.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thank you alphadog...also this might be a dumb question and i'm not sure if people can post links for places to buy dog collars..but I can't find many dog collars to fit around his neck!

So I think I might need to order one online..I really like leather..of all places walmart was the only place where I found an adjustable nylon collar that would go big enough to fit around his neck. I didn't really want one of those huge thick collars just a normal dog collar...i'd really like something even with a padding or soft material..as you can tell he needs to grow some of his hair back..so I don't want anything that will rub up against his skin and stop it from growing back.
This is where I got my pits collar http://www.pitbull-store.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_4&products_id=126 <-- same one I have might be good for his skin issue...

P.S.

I don't like what else they sell on their website but its pretty hard to find collars for big dogs :(

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Look at that face, what a cutie! And I love his white toes. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you! He has a baby face that's for sure!

Thank you for the links as well..they seem very reasonable! I could have sworn that Petsmart carried a variety of leather collars that would fit but I don't go in there very often and they had a bunch of new stuff...The only leather ones that fit were very wide and looked uncomfortable.

He doesn't pull on walks at all so I might just use a harness until his hair grows back.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
You are a wonderful person for resucing him.. I know many people wouldn't stop and even more would run once they saw he was a pit. He is such a handsome boy and I'll bet once his skin condition clears he'll be absolutely gorgeous.

A good place to buy collars is collarmania.com.. she custom makes the collar to fit your dog and owns a pit herself so they have great quality.. they're also not too expensive.

·
Banned
1,596 Posts
Bless your heart, we had a white and Tan Pitty named Roq when I was a kid, such a sweet tempered little girl Your boy is soooo dang cute! I love love love that face! I want to hug it and kiss it, and sooth his poor sad skin...and yeah...I don't need another dog right now LOL!

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Welcome to the forum! What a sweet face! Thank you for taking him into your home and caring enough to stop and see how he was.

It's very common for badly bred Pit Bulls to have skin issues. If you don't see fleas on him, look into swiching to a non-corn based food. Check out our food forum for more information on it.

Since you haven't had a Pit Bull since you were younger it's time to read up on the breed. He looks very American Bully-like and less like American Pit Bull Terrier, but it would be good to read up on both breeds just so you know what to expect. Here are some of my favorite links on the APBT breed:
http://www.badrap.org/rescue/
http://www.understand-a-bull.com/
http://www.pbrc.net/second_dog.html
http://www.apbt.info/tiki-index.php
http://www.riospitbull.com/
http://www.workingpitbull.com/boldogkennel1.html

That should be a good start :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info! I've been reading a lot online and found this site but it's good to have some breed specific sites as well.

My dogs eat taste of the wild and I'll keep him on that as well so I hope it works for him.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
He's so handsome. I'm glad you rescued him. Do you have other dogs as well?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Just a quick question for the pittie people- is Grimm's legs a bit short for a pit bull, or is it normal?

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Just a quick question for the pittie people- is Grimm's legs a bit short for a pit bull, or is it normal?
They are too short for an American Pit Bull terrier. But he looks more like an American Bully in that case he looks pretty normal.
It's still a Pit Bull tho (remember Pit Bull is just a type of dog)

·
Registered
2 Posts
That is exactly how my husband found his old Rottweiler. She was thrown from a truck a couple of car lengths in front of him. She was the best dog he has ever had. He assumed the dog was not as aggressive as the rest who were being trained to either fight or be guard dogs. Either way, he was so happy to have her and she was just as happy. Grimm seems to be the same way. I bet you two will have lots of great times together!

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
It's right for a American Bully. If this was a APBT/AST then no it would be too short. SBT... well, you can tell it's not an SBT.

And as Keechak said "Pit Bull" is describing a few different breeds (well over 20 lol) not a breed in itself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
People on the pit bull forum also thought he might be an American Bully, so that sounds about right.

Also, he isn't itching or scratching at least not since a good flea bath and been started on pro meris.

I have both missing link and lipiderm if anyone has had any experience with either of those products to help. I've also heard that Halo makes an excellent product called Dream Coat that is supposed to help with this sort of thing.

Just after a few days the redness went away on his skin it's just a light pink color now so I think it will grow back in time.

I also feed my dogs taste of the wild..a good quality food. I also have a German Shepherd who is very sensitive to what she eats and a picky standard poodle and this food has always worked for them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts