Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 5 year old pomchi mix named Mac - I got him this past week as a rescue. He is very sweet, well-adjusted, and lovely. I however have never had a dog before, and have some symptoms of 'puppy blues' i.e. trouble adjusting to him, as I am very anxious/overprotective and so I hope this forum will help me learn to be a better owner. I have no friends yet in my new neighbourhood, so I don't yet have other dog owners to talk to in real life. Looking forward to meeting you and making friends, and learning.

As an icebreaker, did anyone else feel anxious with their first/new dog?

- pomchi_papa

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I think everyone feels a bit anxious or stressed with *every* dog they add to their household, not just the first one. The first one can be a doozy, though. It's a complete upheaval of your routine and all of a sudden there's this living being with feelings and needs and desires that is 100% dependent upon you to provide for it. That would stress just about anyone out!

You'll definitely get through it. And eventually you'll be so used to having Mac around that your routine would be interrupted and your house would seem empty without him there. I was very stressed when I first added my puppy Titan, and then Zephyr at 7 months. My mom recently took them for a weekend and I felt very lonely without the two giant lugs tripping me and laying on top of me every chance they got. You will develop that same bond with Mac, too!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Congrats on your new addition; you will be fine. I've had many dogs over the years and it's always a little scary with a different new one. We all love to see pictures !! I had a pom years ago; never a chi but my pom was just a doll; Goldencharm's Foxie-she was with me from 10wks to 15years.
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Spitz

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the kind words everyone! I'm not sure yet how to add pictures that are the right size. I think I'm doing right? If not, I am sorry. But here it is:

I think things are going better today. I have decided on a routine for the pup, and am working with him daily on training, leash manners, etc. I'm feeling hopeful. I actually have a pretty severe anxiety disorder, managed on meds mostly, but this disruption to my routine has been tough. But when I see how Mac flourishes and blossoms with training, I see why I'm doing this. We're helping each other. A lot of his issues, I think, are confidence based - he seems very insecure. But as I'm working with him to boost his confidence, I'm boosting my own as well.

I'm still periodically terrified - I left him alone for like 2.5 hours today and all but died of stress arrhythmia on the way home - but he proves me wrong again and again by being perfectly fine. He's 5. He's an old hand at life. All he needs is guidance, and I need to man up and give it to him.

(His Foster Mom helped give me some pointers and that helped a lot too. I think I sound more confident than I feel.)

But yeah, thanks so much. It helps so much to know other people understand how it feels to be a new pet parent and that I'm not alone. Many of my friends have pets, but most have either cats or birds, which require different things. My landlord even has a parrot that's going to live to be 75 or something someday - it's as smart as a human child. I'm sure that was a shock for him too to adjust to. I guess I just need to remind myself that you can't make a routine or change a behaviour or adapt overnight. Slow and steady. Focus on the long run, and not hyperperfecting the day-to-day.

·
Registered
627 Posts
The picture is great; he looks happy and comfortable!! You will be great as his person. My Molly is just 16mths old; I thought I'd be brave and get a puppy and got her at 10wks; hadn't had a puppy since my pom and that was about 40yrs ago !!! Boy it was a change for sure; had only had adult dogs for many years. You are right you will help each other and learn together.
Dog Canidae Mammal Dog breed Boston terrier

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
I think everyone feels a bit anxious or stressed with *every* dog they add to their household, not just the first one. The first one can be a doozy, though. It's a complete upheaval of your routine and all of a sudden there's this living being with feelings and needs and desires that is 100% dependent upon you to provide for it. That would stress just about anyone out!
Totally agree. I even go through "puppy blues" with foster dogs - usually around the 2-3 week mark, just after a new routine has been finalized but not settled in yet. I just don't feel as guilty about it with foster dogs as I did with my own to because I know it's only temporary, so there's not as much of the "they deserve better" woe - even though sometimes they DO deserve better (the ones with SA deserve someone who can be home more, the ones who don't get along with other dogs deserve a home without crate and rotate, etc.), I also objectively know that their current situation is only temporary so I don't feel (quite) as guilty about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts