Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my little guy Nero (just over 1 year old, border collie/lab mix) has been dying to meet the new dog across the street. He's always up on the second story deck when I take Nero out to play with each other, so they've never actually been introduced. The new neighbors were outside today and their dog was on their tether. Nero's generally very social with other dogs, large and small... it's people he's a little leery about. So, I figured it was a good time for them to get to know each other. Both dogs were off leash when they met (on neutral ground). Usually Nero's happy go lucky... not this time. He had his tail in between his legs and was obviously fearful of this other dog. Amusingly enough, he was just fine with the people, though. Nero would bare his teeth and snap a bit at the other dog, barking and sometimes chasing him whilst barking and nipping. The other dog wasn't being aggressive or dominate or anything, he was inquisitive and wanted to exchange in butt sniffing (haha). Every time Nero acted out, I would "ah-ah!" or swat him and say to be nice. By the end of the 5 minute meeting, Nero was practically on his belly at times when I would correct him then two seconds later he was yapping and snapping. I've never seen him do that. I would like for them to be friends. Any suggestions for meeting next time?

I'm thinking to meet in the street again, but this time with both on leashes, so I can correct him with a leash yank and stop him from nipping and such.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
No correcting, swatting, whatever. Your dog isn't a fearful dog, he doesn't like that dog. I can't see them and tell you exactly what their body language means, but whatever is going on is not pleasing for your dog. It could be the fact they're both leashed, but like I said I can't see the interaction. Sometimes dogs just plain don't like another dog.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Hmm. I'm going to second what ThoseWordsAtBest said about him just not liking the other dog. Just as how you can't expect a person to get along great with everyone they meet, dogs don't always get along with all other dogs. I also second NOT yanking or correcting him. Dogs give warnings for a reason. Better for him to growl and nip than to learn that that behavior is wrong. If he learns it is wrong he may go straight into attacking with no warning at all. Never correct a warning sign. It's asking for trouble. Being on leash can create more tension. If you do try on leash, make sure there is slack in the leash and it's NOT tight. Dogs pulling toward each other is almost guaranteed to be a fight. You may want to try offleash again, but not having seen how fearful/defensive he was being I don't want to personally encourage you to try it in case it's likely to be a fullblown fight next time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts