Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I am not totally sure how this will go down, but here goes!

I am picking up my Bullmastiff tomorrow (male, seven months old) and my partner has an eleven year old mastiff, female who doesn't really like other dogs at all. She will bark and bark even if she sees one two hundred yards down the street!

Thing is, she has co-habited with other dogs before in the past and I am wondering what the best way to introduce the two together is to see if this is possible, whether it is in her own home (moo's) or a casual meet in the park but she is most agressive there.

Ideally, I would like to be able to stay at my partner's house weekends and we not have to worry that they will argue, or get upset - although poor miss moo has not got many teeth left now! I do not want to stress her out as she is pretty old!

Any suggestions would be really helpful!

Deanne

·
Registered
869 Posts
Barking at other dogs on leash isn't the same thing as living with another dog. The leash reactivity isn't a socialization issue, it's a leash issue, and living with another dog is not the same thing as going to the dog park.

So, I would suggest not getting another dog if you don't know what you're in for and how to approach the problem, but it's probably too late for that.

I find that the best way for dogs to "meet" is to walk them side by side. Set up the situation so that they never get the chance to meet face to face. Face to face is what causes aggressive behavior. Their mouth is full of sharp weaponry, and when you point two pieces of weapon together, problems can easily happen. If you can use objects and doors and stuff to set up the situation in a way that they can immediately be side by side, that's the best way to do it. You don't want to give your old mastiff any time to fixate and start revving herself up.

·
Registered
705 Posts
If you are going to be taking your puppy to your partner's house then I think a better thing to do would be to bring a crate. If the puppy is being obnoxious to the female, put the puppy in the crate or set something up where you can separate them (baby gates, etc.). Separating them will ensure nothing happens and it will allow the female to escape the little terror and feel safe in her own home.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thankyou for the great advice. I shall try both, we do have a baby gate (to keep moo in and out of the kitchen!) like I said moo is a lovely old girl and I don't want to be stressing her out but I think she will love him in the end, I am willing to be patient and persevere.

I know how to 'handle' mastiffs quingcong, it is just introducing them in the best way I did not really know, I am sure everyone here has had learning curbs with dogs from time to time! But I shall take the great advice you have given me and use it well. Thank you very much :)

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Another general suggestion is to go to a neutral fenced in area. Then, let the old (fearful?) dog approach the socialized dog. We used to use my dog to help socialize fear-aggressive dogs. We put my dog in the fenced area, then let the fearful dog loose. The fearful dog would run up and bark, and mine would ignore him... This kept up until the fearful one realized that he was not in danger, then he approached my dog to interact and eventually play.

You can't do this if you're worried that the fearful dog will fight or bite...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts