Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Sunday, my boyfriend and I adopted this wonderful little Papillon! He's neutered and about 1 and a half years old. He's a little bigger then a typical Papillon, and it's suspected that he came from a BYB. His original name was Dude, but Basil seemed a more fitting name for the little guy. (It's pronounced bah-zil, by the way, not bay-zil XD)

Basil is my first dog as an adult, and so far, everything's been great!! He loves other people and dogs, and he's great on walks. He's quickly becoming a celebrity at our local Petsmart for his incredible charm! At home he loves to snuggle with me just about wherever he can, just so long as I'm not standing! He's seriously the calmest dog I've ever met.. I'm afraid if he were anymore mellow, he'd go into a coma! Everybody loves him, he's such a charmer.

He only has two problems. For one, he has no basic training at all, and doesn't even know how to sit on command. I'm sure he certainly has the capability to learn, however. I definitely want to start working on his recall, because I'd love to go to the dog park with him eventually. His second problem, is his separation anxiety. The poor little guy doesn't know what to do with himself if I so much as go to the bathroom! I'm not gone too often, though, so he can spend plenty of time with me, and we're definitely going to do as much research and work as we can so we can get him more comfortable with being alone. He also came to us with a bit of an itchy problem, which we suspect to be a food allergy. He was on Iams previously, but we're in the process of switching him over to Blue Wilderness. We'll see how he does on that food, and see if that helps at all with his itching. I wouldn't consider that a flaw, though!

Other then that, though, he's absolutely the perfect dog for my boyfriend and I. We're moving to Dallas soon, and he'll absolutely love it there! There are walking trails and dog parks out the wazoo! The apartment complex where we've reserved our apartment is a wonderful place for dogs. I can see us having a LOT of fun together in the future! =D

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I fixed the pic:

He looks like a doll! Congratulations to you and your BF and hello Basil. :) Look forward to reading about your progress with him.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Omg, another papillon! He's adorable! :)

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
What a sweet face! He's so cute.

I have to admit, I love the look of papillons. I wish I could get one, but they are in the shedding category, so it would set off my allergies. Plus, I'm at two dogs now, which is my limit.

I'm happy for you and your new pup!

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
how tall is he at the shoulder. from that picture he looks more than double to size of a standard pap but it could just be a wierd angle. he's very handsom though
He's about 13 inches, so he would be very much disqualified in the show ring, I believe, lol! The angle is a little weird, too, though, since he almost looks bigger then I do!!

That reminds me! The other day on a walk through the park, two kids asked me if Basil was a Chihuahua! I was thinking "What!? He's the size of a sheltie! Lol!" I suppose Papillons sort of have the look of the Chihuahua, though.

Thanks for all the nice comments everybody! And thanks for helping my fix the picture, I couldn't figure it out! XD

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Ahhh, there are papillons galore on this forum! Basil is SO cute!! My Gizmo is a slightly bigger Papillon, at 11 1/2 inches and a whole solid 11 lbs.. I happen to find them cute in their own little special way when they're taller..and Paps are already perfect agility specimens..then you put longer legs on them, my goodness. Giz can jump SO high.

I'll have to post some pics of my two..

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Welcome new pappy people!!! :D

This forum does have a lot of papillons on it. Definitely post pics. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts