Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how I should go about introducing a new puppy into a home with an already existing dog. It's been a few years since I last had a puppy in my home, and I've never had an older dog living along side me.
I have a corgi mix who thinks he's a 30lb chihuahua and has a tendency to mow little dogs down at the dog park. I'm not sure if it's a dominance issue or if he just doesn't realize his own size. I've gotten the puppy's scent on a towel and introduced it to him last week so he could get used to the scent. I do have a squirt bottle I could use if he gets out of line, but I don't want him to be discouraged from the puppy. He avoids the squirt bottle like the plague, but he's a generally a good dog.
I get the puppy on the 15th (She's a Havanese/Mini Schnauzer mix), so I don't expect her to get over 15-18lbs. Is there anything else I should do in advance to prepare for him for her arrival or any tips I could use when I introduce them? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks =]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone have any experience or advice? =\

·
Registered
554 Posts
I would definitely introduce them in an open area first, preferably neutral ground. This lets the older dog interact with and get to know the puppy, but in a non-threatening environment that your corgi won't feel territorial over.

When my parents brought Puppy Josie home, they dropped her right in the house, and Belle went ballistic - barking, growling. We took them both outside, and they literally played for an hour. Belle sprinting in circles around the clumsy Shepherd puppy. The open environment was by far the most important factor for that meeting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We were really lucky Beasley had no problem when piglet moved in. When its dinner time we tell them to go to jail and they run into the same big dog crate. They are the best of friends. As far as your are concerned, I like the advise already given. Introducing the two in an open area that neutral would be the safest bet. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would the breeders home count as neutral territory? It's a four hour drive both ways when it comes to picking the pup up so I didn't want to leave him at home. I will have my husband there for additional support. I guess I'm just really nervous that he'll think she's some sort of fluffy squeak toy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts