Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to bring home an 8 week old Chihuahua puppy (next week), and already own a 2yr old Chi. I live in a small, bachelor suite apartment (i.e. no rooms, just a main living area, a small kitchen, and a bathroom).

What do you think would be the best way for me to integrate the new pup into the life of me, and my other dog?

We'll be arriving home at around 1am, so I was thinking I could leave the pup in her crate that night (with potty breaks of course!) while my dog has the run of the place and could safely see and smell the pup.

Then in the morning, maybe go buy some wire mesh panels to make a small "play pen" for the puppy to live in for the first week or so.. keeping pup safe while my dog can, again, see and smell her.

At what point can I introduce them face to face? And how should that be done?

I imagine I'll leave puppy sleeping in her "play pen" until she seems to be housebroken, and by that time, I assume she and my dog will be ok together, as I expect that will take a few weeks...

Do I sound like I'm on the right track??? lol

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I just brought the new puppy home, lol. Our older dow (1 at the time) has no real territory issues and isn't aggressive, etc. People here told me to bring them to a park and get closer to each other....but I saw too many problems with that. So I just brought the pup in, let them sniff each other...and everyone was fine and dandy. :) GL and congrats!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts