Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I would LOVE any advice/help I can get! To make a long story short-I rescued an emaciated 2 yr old female English Mastiff from a horrible home (actually, they kept her locked in a mini-van with no water and all the windows rolled up on super hot days). This was very sudden and completely unexpected.

I currently have a 6 yr old female GSD/Boxer mix, Sophie, who is somewhat dog insecure. I rescued her as well, but as a puppy, and while she was INCREDIBLY well socialized as a puppy (puppy kindergarten, obedience, dog parks, etc.) she has always been somewhat dog insecure. She has never bit or hurt another dog, but has acted in an aggressive manner in the past (it's been several years, but I've also limited her exposure to other dogs). I currently have her in a doggie day train program and they say WONDERFUL things about her-no aggressive behaviors whatsoever. I should probably add she is muzzled at day train, for safety sake, but still has never shown aggressive behaviors.

I have kept the 2 dogs separated for the past 10 days, because I want to make sure I'm doing this properly. I've taken them for walks together (they act like they've known each other for years-no problems whatsoever!) and are very relaxed around each other in my backyard. There has been no lunging, snapping or overtly aggressive behaviors (Sophie did bare her teeth a bit the first night or two when they were both inside but separated by a large coffee table and has been 'snarky' occasionally-Georgie always backs down) and both their body language is relaxed and calm almost all the time.

I should also add that Georgie, the Mastiff, has shown so far to be VERY submissive-when Sophie got snarky at her the other day in the backyard, she immediately went completely belly up, and Sophie trotted away (once Sophie even came back and kissed Georgie).

So what's my problem?! I'm terrified to unite them in the house! I'm so scared-because Sophie is dog insecure-that something is going to set her off, and I've heard female on female dog fights are the worst. Plus, I have a 100 lb emaciated Mastiff and a 97 lb dog insecure GSD/Boxer mix that SO FAR seem to actually really like each other (yet also not tremendously interested in each other which I know is a good sign) but I'm scared something's going to change!

I also will add I know my nervous energy will be passed along to the dogs, so I am very diligent about being calm, relaxed and positive/upbeat around both of them together, plus lots of praise when they're being doggie appropriate.

I can't get them both into training together for several more weeks because George is not yet up to date on all of her vaccines, plus she's not spayed-so I'm getting rejected left and right. I also can't spay her yet because she's so underweight still!

Any advice/tips/reassurance they are heading in the right direction and I'm overly worried/cautious/neurotic is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
173 Posts
My gut feeling is that with them doing ok on leashed walks and in your backyard, they will do fine in your house. That said, I will not flinch if I am gunned down, as I may have not thought of everything. But I seriously think you are headed in the right direction. As far as when you allow them to meet in your house, have a few friends around, and let the dogs drag leashes for awhile until things are settled.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts