Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,717 Posts
If she really loves the crate, I wouldn't remove it completely. Put it in a different room and leave it open. I replaced my dog's crate with a bed when he was around one year old because our bedroom was small and I didn't want a huge crate in it. He had also proven at that point that he wasn't going to get into trouble when not supervised. He already knew what a bed was because we have them throughout the house and he had been trained a "go to bed" cue.

When I moved the crate downstairs, he naturally gravitated to the bed because it was comfy and he likes to nap on them. He was a little restless at first without being locked in the crate...it was almost like he wasn't sure what to do with himself when he wasn't forced to stay in one place. So, we closed the door to our bedroom so he was less tempted to wander, told him "go to bed", rewarded, and then ignored him. He did eventually settle.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.