Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posting from western Canada.
I recently adopted a young dog who looks very unique. Everywhere we go we get asked, what is she? Some folks are afraid of her apearance, others are fascinated by her. As a puppy she looked much like a malamute, but 18months later she now looks very different now.

I would like to try a dog DNA service just for my own curiousity.
Would love recomendations on the best dna test services that ship to Canada.

Or if you think you have a good guess what she might be, I would love to hear it.

Ray, 2 year old spayed female, 70lbs, breed unknown.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Some kind of Siberian Husky mix is my guess. She's beautiful. Her feet look very wolf-like, but a wolf mix is unlikely.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I would say Alaskan Husky, A Siberian/Malamute cross with possibly some wolf 3-5 generations back in her lineage. She is beautiful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your input! She is a very pretty girl indeed. I agree that husky is very likely. I will share my findings when I try the dog DNA test.
Any recomendations on companies that ship to canada? I wanted to use embark but it looks like they only ship to the US.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Check out Embark's help center, under the Billing + Shipping category - it should have everything you need to know about getting it outside of the US (and sending the swab back). I've talked to them about getting it here in Norway, so I know it's possible! Just a little pricier. Wisdom panel would be my second choice, but it doesn't scan for genetic disorders the way Embark does.

I'd agree that she's probably mostly husky - possibly Alaskan husky, which is more of a landrace than a breed. It's highly, highly unlikely she has any wolf in her, and I always urge people not to claim their dog has wolf heritage unless they're 110% sure. Such a claim can turn tragic very quickly, between regional laws about owning hybrids, vets refusing to see potential hybrids, and the fact that no rabies vaccine is tested on wolfdogs, so even an accidental bite situation can lead to the dog being euthanized for a rabies test instead of quarantined.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts