Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently started my dog (year old standard poodle with itchy skin) in Instinct Raw and kibble. The first I bought was chicken (raw in the patties) and it looked and smelled fine when thawed. It was nice and pink...for the rotations sake, and to see if there was a flavor he likes better, the next kind I tried was the beef. Now,it smelled, when thawed, kinda like 'bad' hambuger. Is this normal? Has anyone else used the beef and had a smiliar result? Of course, he ate it with no problem but i was afraid of it and took it back. The color of the patties was also weird. Kinda looked 'freezer-burnt'. When I took the package back to the store, they did return it, but not without almost scolding me for not getting it in the freezer right away (NOT!) and that that smell was normal. Help me out.
Also, when I took it back today, they were out of chicken (I was going back to what I know) so I got Venison. Now this of course when i opened the bag when I got home to put on in the fridge to thaw, kinda smelled weird. But I sort of expect that, being 'gamey' and all. But it too, is brown and not nice and pink like pictured on the package. I need some input. I called the company last week and have yet to get a call back so I will call on the powers of the internet. IS THIS NORMAL?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I recently started my dog (year old standard poodle with itchy skin) in Instinct Raw and kibble. The first I bought was chicken (raw in the patties) and it looked and smelled fine when thawed. It was nice and pink...for the rotations sake, and to see if there was a flavor he likes better, the next kind I tried was the beef. Now,it smelled, when thawed, kinda like 'bad' hambuger. Is this normal? Has anyone else used the beef and had a smiliar result? Of course, he ate it with no problem but i was afraid of it and took it back. The color of the patties was also weird. Kinda looked 'freezer-burnt'. When I took the package back to the store, they did return it, but not without almost scolding me for not getting it in the freezer right away (NOT!) and that that smell was normal. Help me out.
Also, when I took it back today, they were out of chicken (I was going back to what I know) so I got Venison. Now this of course when i opened the bag when I got home to put on in the fridge to thaw, kinda smelled weird. But I sort of expect that, being 'gamey' and all. But it too, is brown and not nice and pink like pictured on the package. I need some input. I called the company last week and have yet to get a call back so I will call on the powers of the internet. IS THIS NORMAL?
Thanks in advance.
I fed the Instinct frozen raw up until last week (the reason I'm not feeding it now is due to other reasons other than the quality of the product). I have not noticed the problems you have noticed with the beef. I have never fed the venison as it's not available at the store where I get it. I'm wondering whether the store puts the product into the freezer as soon as they get it or maybe it's an issue with the distributor. The beef is always a light brown but pink inside. It's a good idea to contact the company though I'm surprised that someone has not replied to you.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
The beef and the venison do have a more apparent odor than the chicken when thawed. The patties will be a darker color than the chicken. You may also notice that the venison formula is tougher than the chicken and takes a bit more effort to tear apart. This is what I've found to be normal..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts