Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I did a search for this problem and that did not quite address the problem our "Buddy" is having. He is 14 months old now and he has had bouts of constipation and scooting off and on since he was a baby. We took in a stool sample to the vet, negative. the vet gave us a high protein canned dog food and that seemed to help, but we ran out. We feed him Pure Vita kibble and sometimes when we are finished with our dinner and have left over gravy, we will pour it over his food. Sometimes my housemate will give him a little canned dog food and less kibble so there is not consistency (it's his dog but I try to help him with information).

We went to to dog park today and I saw Buddy in the position to have a BM, but nothing came out and then he immediatley scooted on his behind. I feel so badly for him. One gal at the park said she fed her dogs more meal and vegetables. I mean, come on, do we really need to cook a separate meal for our dogs? Isn't there something out there that has more fiber so our Buddy can go and do his business?

He has a grooming appt tomorow, and once again he will have his anal glands expressed. Maybe this will help. So so far, he has not gone #2 in two days.

Any ideas? And he eats a lot of cat poop and don't know how to keep him away from that if those stray cats are coming over to our backyard.

And housemate (naughty man) likes to sometimes feed Buddy a bowl of ice cream and other human sweets. He's 77 and I sometimes don't see this until he confesess. Buddy starts obedience training on Tuesday. Hopefully this issue will be addressed, but I doubt it. We just want him to come to us when he's called, especially at the dog park and stop pulling so hard on the leash.

Oh my goodness, this is a lot of work and I guess I will need to step up to the plate and take over completely because my housemate is from the old school "he's grow out of it" or some other kind of excuse.

And I feel a virus coming on so I'm so tired!

Any ideas?

·
Registered
683 Posts
The scooting may be caused by anal gland issues OR by any number of parasites your dog may be picking up from the feces he ingests. Depending on the "age" of the feces, your dog can pick up giardia, coccidia, roundworms, and/or whipworms. Even if you have wormed your dog, they can reinfect themselves over and over by ingesting feces. Regardless, I would get him back to the vet. I'm sure your groomer's great, but vets can address anal gland issues, as well, and will likely do so for less money. Be sure to also mention all the "people food" your dog is getting. Generally, this isn't the best idea, especially not until your dog is healthy! You may also want to look into digestive enzymes, probiotics, etc. Your vet can give you more info about this or you can look around on the forum for posts on the subject.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts