Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 month old Bruno does great. I think he knows for the most part not to go to the bathroom inside. Or at least as well as I can expect him to at 4 months. He hasn't pooped inside for over a month and a half. However, it seems it is always at night that he will pee in the house. Even tonight, I took him out and we were outside for over 20 minutes. He did his deed and we came in. Not 15 minutes later while being in what I call "crazy puppy mode" where he sprints in circles or figure 8's (which is incredibly funny by the way) he just stopped and peed (I had given him no more water). I understand this could be from excitement but sometimes it seems as if at night he just wont hold it as long. Besides the obvious answer "train myself and take him out more" is there any other possible reason for this often happening at night?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Puppies are notorious for getting distracted and not finishing their business. And, you probably stay out less time at night since it's probably colder at night (depending on where you live). Plus, after the zoomies it's natural for him to need to go again.

Take him out more often, including getting up at least once during the night if necessary. Crate him when you can't watch him. And, when you take him out after he's done his business praise him and then reward him with a short, fun, active game and then take him back to his potty area once more. Are you teaching him a go potty command?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Puppies are notorious for getting distracted and not finishing their business. And, you probably stay out less time at night since it's probably colder at night (depending on where you live). Plus, after the zoomies it's natural for him to need to go again.

Take him out more often, including getting up at least once during the night if necessary. Crate him when you can't watch him. And, when you take him out after he's done his business praise him and then reward him with a short, fun, active game and then take him back to his potty area once more. Are you teaching him a go potty command?
I do all of the above, and he makes it 8 hours through the night which I'm very happy about!. However, when you ask if im teaching him a potty command do you mean one inside such as "need to go?" or outside such as "hurry up." If you mean the latter then yes, every time i say hurry up until he starts going then i say good boy while he is going. After he finishes i always praise him more. I think it may just take some time and I'll need to be patient :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts