Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the link to an article on Reuters that looked at infants at risk for allergies due to family history and the effect of having furry pets in the house. It seems that having furred animals actually lowered the incidence of developing allergies possibly due to sharing microbes between the infants and the pets.

This link is the Reuters condensation of the original work. There is a link at the bottom to the original, but you have to pay to view it and I wasn't up for that this morning.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/10/us-health-allergy-pet-microbes-idUSKCN0RA2CK20150910

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
That's pretty cool!

It makes sense to me. For one, allergy shots are just exposing you to low levels of the allergen to build up your tolerance, so it makes sense to me that some exposure would help.

I've also heard that some scientists think that food allergies are the result of missing gut bateria. The reason it has become so prevalent in the past few years is that our antibiotic use has climbed dramatically. So it makes sense to me that if you can get this useful gut bacteria from an outside source (assuming your mother is allergic and thus lacking it) then that would be helpful.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I also remember going to allergists back in the day and one of the first suggestions was always to get rid of our dogs. My mom just looked at them like they were idiots. I'm not even really allergic to dogs. Who gets rid of their pets for allergies unless someone is like deathly allergic?

·
Registered
813 Posts
I also remember going to allergists back in the day and one of the first suggestions was always to get rid of our dogs. My mom just looked at them like they were idiots. I'm not even really allergic to dogs. Who gets rid of their pets for allergies unless someone is like deathly allergic?
I have hundreds of environmental allergies. Really. And I am actually allergic to all domestic pets including birds but if you consider the fact that I am also allergic to all types of pollen and dust and dust mites (which are unavoidable) my pets don't seem so bad. My doctor still asks me to get rid of my rabbit, my cat, and to stay away from dogs every time I see her. Even though I'm not dying and I manage just fine with prescription allergy medicine. I don't get it either, its SO MUCH to ask of a person, even one miserable with allergies.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I job shadowed a allergist for a few days and literally every patient she said needed to get rid of their pets, or at least put them outside or in the garage.
Her theory was if your allergic to one animal then your allergic to them all (if your allergic to cats then your allergic to rats, dogs, horses, gerbils, etc.).... Not sure there is any validity to this but it was her expert opinion.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I job shadowed a allergist for a few days and literally every patient she said needed to get rid of their pets, or at least put them outside or in the garage.
Her theory was if your allergic to one animal then your allergic to them all (if your allergic to cats then your allergic to rats, dogs, horses, gerbils, etc.).... Not sure there is any validity to this but it was her expert opinion.
Now they'll be handing out puppies and kittens to all expectant mothers! (Just kidding) We'll see if this research holds up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts