Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my wife are interested in inviting a new puppy to our home from the local animal rescue site. He is a German Shepard mix, but they don't know what the mix is.

He is a little furball.

Looking at the stats on a normal German Shepard, it looks like if he was going to be full sized he should weigh about 25 - 30lbs by the time he is 3 months old. He is currently a little over 3 months and only weighs about 8lbs.

Since I don't know the other breed that he is combined with, how can I get an idea of how large he should be or will be when he gets full grown?

·
Registered
118 Posts
A common estimate is that 2x the dog's weight at 4 months is how big they'll get, but there are a LOT of things that can change that, and if the dog was malnurished or otherwise in poor physical shape, the weight at 4 months may not be any indication at all of full adult size.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Something else to consider is that a lot of shelters and some rescues aren't that great at ID'ing dogs - they'll often assign breeds based on coloring or on what the face/ears look like rather than considering the whole dog.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Something else to consider is that a lot of shelters and some rescues aren't that great at ID'ing dogs - they'll often assign breeds based on coloring or on what the face/ears look like rather than considering the whole dog.
I know, thats why I thought I would come on here to try and find some help.

The shelter doesnt have any pictures up since he is new and will be gone before the pictures would even be up.

I found some pictures on someone's Web site that look almost exactly like him, size and everything.

http://rachelmallino.wordpress.com/2008/02/04/my-life-as-a-zoo-keeper-or-oh-how-i-love-my-new-puppy/

That page says that the dog is a GSD and chow mix which is what I thought it might be.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
I know, thats why I thought I would come on here to try and find some help.

The shelter doesnt have any pictures up since he is new and will be gone before the pictures would even be up.

I found some pictures on someone's Web site that look almost exactly like him, size and everything.

http://rachelmallino.wordpress.com/2008/02/04/my-life-as-a-zoo-keeper-or-oh-how-i-love-my-new-puppy/

That page says that the dog is a GSD and chow mix which is what I thought it might be.
not at 8 lbs at 3 mo....my Border pups were all 12 lbs and up at 3 mo and they topped out at between 40-54 lbs....both Chows and GSD's weigh considerably more than that (well, Chows are about there, i guess, but not GSD's) so that pup should weigh more at 3 mo...unless they're wrong on the age....

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
It depends - Mal (62 pound smooth collie) was only 18 pounds at 3 months!

This is part of the fun of mix puppies- it's a surprise. :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts