Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I've never owned a pet before. But lived with a poodle for 3 months.
I am searcing for a puppy/young dog.
There is this dog I like, but my friends (who all have dogs) tell me that they would never pay that much for the dog I'm interested in.

The owner doesn't know what breed it is, but he says the vet said that it is a mix of maltese and poodle. It is a week shy from 12 months old. upto date with shots and fixed. House trained, and gets along with other smaller pets. weights about 11.5 lbs and told me he probably is fully grown now. The owner asked for 300 and I asked if he can negotiate to 250. My friends are telling me they would never pay that much for a mutt that is a year old.

I like the dog, but I'm a student at the same time, and I would not want to pay for a overpriced pet.

Do you guys think this is a reasonable offer?

Thanks!!:flypig:

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Since you've never owned a pet, I would recommend visiting a few local shelters, and visit a few dogs. You might find a comparable dog at a more reasonable price. But keep in mind too, the cost of the dog is not just the selling price. Which, is actually small in comparison to the total cost for food, vet care, and training.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I think your best option as a new dog owner is to go to a decent shelter and ask the staff there to help you match you with one of their dogs. Shelter fees usually aren't too expensive and it always includes shots, and spay/neuter, (and goes to a great cause!). They usually do behavior tests on their dogs before putting them on the adoption floor so they can have a better idea of matching you with the right dog! Definitely try a rescue or humane society in your area!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I think you should consider that, as a student, do you have enough time and money for this dog?
Expenses are going to pile up; food, toys, vet, grooming, etc.

That being said, no, I wouldn't give $300 or even $250 for a dog unless it was coming from a shelter or a reputable breeder.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts