Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have any funny, inspirational, moving or emotional stories about your dog I'd love to hear about them and include them in a little project I'm working on.

I've come across some really great stories about how people found their dogs or puppies, or better yet, how their dogs found them! I have a few about dogs that have changed people's lives etc.

I'd love to hear your story.

BL

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I don't know if it's inspirational, but my old dog, see sig, died in October, just after turning 13. I don't do well without a dog, so I started contacting rescues and looking at shelters 2 weeks later. I applied at a border collie rescue, but was nicely told that I don't have the energy for a BC. (I have health problems, this was fair.)

2weeks later, the rescue emailed me a picture of what looked like a half size golden retriever, starving because if a huge tumor on his gum and asked me if I'd like him. He has a hip injury and would ge about as energetic as me. That's kabota, also see sig and avatar. 10 days later I have a dog.

The amazing thing about Kabota is that he broke his teeth trying to chew his way out of being crates 24/7. He has an awful, badly healed hip. His former owners let him starve and dropped him off at a shelter to die. Despite a of that, kabota loves everyone. He especially loves children. He's incredibly sweet and well behaved, just the perfect family dog.

Kabota to me is a testament to everything dogs have to teach us about love, forgiveness and living in the moment.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
The amazing thing about Kabota is that he broke his teeth trying to chew his way out of being crates 24/7. He has an awful, badly healed hip. His former owners let him starve and dropped him off at a shelter to die. Despite a of that, kabota loves everyone. He especially loves children. He's incredibly sweet and well behaved, just the perfect family dog.
Poor Kabota....I am so happy he found a wonderful home with you. He sounds like one great dog. I just can't imagine how some people sleep at night. No conscience, I guess.

·
Banned
96 Posts
Well my dog was a rescue at 4.5 months old. Since then she is a saint with my autistic daughter (5 yrs). My daughter doesn't "play" in the typical sense of the word but she does with Ruby. She has chosen to speak more sentences since she we have introduced her to Ruby and they just have a genuinely good time together. My 2 kids can climb all over her and do anything they want (my daughter doesn't understand personal boundaries) and she has been nothing but tolerant and loving towards my kids.
I don't know if that's inspirational enough but it is to me and my family :)

·
Registered
591 Posts
several years ago my dad who was 71 at the time had a pup from an "oops" litter from my daughters Golden Retriever and my border Collie who was named Baby bear ( his momma was Honey Bear ). Bear was 7 years old when he got up one day and then fell over dead from heart failure. My dad was beside himself with grief . We kept telling dad he needed to adopt another dog to help fill the hole in his heart that bear left but he said he wouldnt have another dog ever !! On his birthday my brother took him out to lunch then surprised him with a visit to the local animal shelter where he had seen several small dogs he thought would be great for dad. At first my dad was adament that he didnt want another dog and then he saw Shesha, a 5 year old shepherd/lab mix. Not really what we thought would be good for my elderly dad but it was love at first sight. My dad just turned 83 last week and shesha is the joy in his life!!

Now here is Guapos story ....... Last spring my parents finally moved to Alaska and moved in with me. I was at work one day when my dad took my 2 little dogs outside to potty and Odie my terrier mix disapeared. A week later a neighbor found him, it was not good news. A few days later I was looking at petfinders and saw a little yorkipoo for adoption in Homer Alaska, about 3 hours from me. I called and they said they had a guy coming in to pick him up. I decided to go anyway and was looking at a little doxie mix. My parents and I made the drive to Homer that afternoon and first met Guapo who followed the lady from the shelter around everywhere, he was adorable but taken .For whatever reason the little doxie was just not the right dog for me and he HATED Sophie my poochon that I had taken with us. Then just before closing the lady from the shelter informed me that the other guy had not come back for Guapo so he was mine if I wanted him. So Guapo came home with us. NOw Guapo is the worlds ugliest dog, so ugly he is adorable thus the name , Guapo means handsome in Spanish. He is a tiny dog with a HUGE attitude, he even bosses my huge lab Lucifer around.

I guess the moral of my story is that adopting a rescued dog not only saves the dogs life but can fill a void in a persons life saving it also .

Attachments

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I received a puppy during a time when I was recovering from a severe spinal injury. I had moved back home with my Parents and could not work. My Parents brought home a little white puppy ... and then a second little white puppy at my request. It was a gift. The two pups were born on my Dad's birth date ... 8/26/2006 ... just a different year. Lol! :) Dad's middle name is "Lee" ... hence I named my puppy "Leeo."

Leeo helped me recover. He gave me strength to go on and get motivated ... even on days that I could not lift a simple gallon of milk. He made every day a happy one for me.

A year before the pups ... my Mother who had copd had gotten pneumonia and died ... twice ... and was brought back. This made her final 5 years difficult. I became her caregiver 24/7 ... as I was almost recovered. Little Leeo was my rock as well as hers. He would guard her and stay by her side no matter where she was. Once she became bed ridden ... he would stay in her bed with her and try and comfort her .... as he did me many a day. He was my little fur buddy who's shoulder I could cry on and talk to with all my troubles. He was such a loving, loyal, wonderful little guy.

Leeo lost his life to pancreatic neucrosis and a stomach mass two years after my Mother passed.

Once again he was a rock when my Mother passed ... but for me again ... to help me through the grieving process.

It was as if he were sent here for a reason ... to take care of two needy humans. He did an awesome job! ... Above and beyond the call of duty! He has now received his final reward for a job well done! ... all the goodies he can eat and all the critters he can chase at The Rainbow Bridge.

Leeo took a huge piece of my heart with him .... but I just know he is waiting for me when my time on earth ends. I have his ashes and our suitcase packed with all his worldly toys he left behind ... to take along with me ... and we are going to have a picnic that day!

Leeo is my one and only Heart Dog in all my 57 years here on earth. :D

·
Registered
591 Posts
I received a puppy during a time when I was recovering from a severe spinal injury. I had moved back home with my Parents and could not work. My Parents brought home a little white puppy ... and then a second little white puppy at my request. It was a gift. The two pups were born on my Dad's birth date ... 8/26/2006 ... just a different year. Lol! :) Dad's middle name is "Lee" ... hence I named my puppy "Leeo."

Leeo helped me recover. He gave me strength to go on and get motivated ... even on days that I could not lift a simple gallon of milk. He made every day a happy one for me.

A year before the pups ... my Mother who had copd had gotten pneumonia and died ... twice ... and was brought back. This made her final 5 years difficult. I became her caregiver 24/7 ... as I was almost recovered. Little Leeo was my rock as well as hers. He would guard her and stay by her side no matter where she was. Once she became bed ridden ... he would stay in her bed with her and try and comfort her .... as he did me many a day. He was my little fur buddy who's shoulder I could cry on and talk to with all my troubles. He was such a loving, loyal, wonderful little guy.

Leeo lost his life to pancreatic neucrosis and a stomach mass two years after my Mother passed.

Once again he was a rock when my Mother passed ... but for me again ... to help me through the grieving process.

It was as if he were sent here for a reason ... to take care of two needy humans. He did an awesome job! ... Above and beyond the call of duty! He has now received his final reward for a job well done! ... all the goodies he can eat and all the critters he can chase at The Rainbow Bridge.

Leeo took a huge piece of my heart with him .... but I just know he is waiting for me when my time on earth ends. I have his ashes and our suitcase packed with all his worldly toys he left behind ... to take along with me ... and we are going to have a picnic that day!

Leeo is my one and only Heart Dog in all my 57 years here on earth. :D
abby your story rendered me to tears ! I am soo sorry for your loss of leeo, he was a blessing for sure and is now your little 4 legged angel !! I know Eddee can't fill leeos shoes but I am sure it helps fill the void he left in your heart !!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
One night around midnight the police came to our house looking for the guy that lives downstairs from us. The next day I let Bella down into the yard to play without knowing they had left one of our gates open. She was only five months old at the time, and I absolutely PANICKED when I realized she was gone. I ran around the whole neighborhood like a crazy person screaming her name. Finally we found her at the neighbors house right across the street. She was soaking wet and the neighbor explained that she had snuck into the bathroom and jumped into her little girl's bubble bath!! I was so happy to have her back in my arms and she smelt really good too :) I learned my lesson after that and always check both gates before she goes out!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
When we first got Vader ( he is a 90lb black Bully ) he would run off with anything in the house that was not bolted down. His fav thing was shoes. and just 1 second in his mouth is enough to kill most shoes. and he would take off as soon as he had one knowing it was bad. at first we scolded him verbally for taking shoes , it was no use he could care less he just loved the attention anyways. So we went the other approach and starting praising him when he gave the shoe back. One night my husband and I were on the couch watching a movie and Vader came bouncing in with a shoe. I took it from his mouth and told him he was a good boy. Seconds later he came bouncing in with another shoe. Which I once again praised him and told him he was good....seconds later he came in with another shoe...then another then another....when he ran out of shoes by the door you could hear him rummaging through closets and trying to open drawers on the dresser. by the end of our movie we had every shoe in the house next to us on the couch with a very happy Vader sitting in front of us like a little angel, he looked like he felt so proud of himself like he gave us a million bucks.

·
Registered
389 Posts
D, that's a very sad and touching story. I do feel your pain of losing your heart dog as well as the the pain and difficulty of a pretty serious respiratory disease. I hope that you are breathing more easily.

I haven't heard back from you since the last PM I sent you but maybe things aren't working so well?

Let me know how you are doing and how your crew is doing. One way or another ...

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Our second dog was a rescue, we got her at 7 weeks (according to our vet, the rescue group said she was 10 weeks). She and her siblings had been abandoned in a ditch in a horrible area, probably at about 5 weeks old. She was probably the strongest of her siblings, as she seemed very protective of them, and is protective of our other dogs today.

She is feisty; a little firecracker! Not aggressive or a bully, but just very bouncy and a pretty rough player. But, every once in awhile, when she's in a quiet mood, she seems very, um, how to describe it, withdrawn/introverted/sad/just kind of lowers her head and looks up with super sad eyes.

I'm not sure what this really means in doggy language, but, to me, in my human interpretation (which is probably totally wrong!) she is reverting back to being sad and lonely and scared when she was abandoned. It breaks my heart when she is like that, as we love her so much and are so glad she's in our family!

She's never been abused in our family, we've never been physical, or even really shouted at her, but, it just makes me want to scoop her up and let her know she's in her forever home!

Of course, 3 minutes later she's chasing our other dogs around in a fantastic game of chase!

·
Registered
703 Posts
This thread has pretty touching posts.
If you have any funny, inspirational, moving or emotional stories about your dog I'd love to hear about them and include them in a little project I'm working on.

I've come across some really great stories about how people found their dogs or puppies, or better yet, how their dogs found them! I have a few about dogs that have changed people's lives etc.

I'd love to hear your story.

BL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts