Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal for a mature intact male to totally ignore in-season bitches? I had my 3.5-year old male BC at an obedience show & go this weekend, and there were two bitches there (a Terv and an Aussie) in panties. I was hoping this would be a great chance for my boy to learn to work around heavy distractions. He was crated near one of the bitches, and in a stay lineup with the other (yes, we were careful and the other owners were OK with the situation). But Scot seemed to think both girls were a huge bore and didn't give so much as a sniff in their direction.

He has acted this way at least once before with a bitch in our obedience class, but he was quite a bit younger then. I'm fine with it, I don't intend to breed him, and I didn't expect him to have crazy hysterics. But is it common for males to have no interest at all?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I've heard others tell a similar story; I don't think it's common, nor do I think it's rare . . . or a sign of anything amiss. Be grateful!

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I don't think it's that rare. Watson is a totally distracted doofus by most dogs, but he's worked next to in heat females without an issue when he was about 2 years old. We had one in our house for 3 days last winter (Hazel's mom) and she had to talk him into breeding most of the time. He mostly wanted to play. When she was crated in the same room as us, he was happy to sleep on my lap and didn't even go over to the crate to check her out. On his second breeding he was much more interested and much quicker, so maybe with experience comes some more understanding of what they should be doing.

And it could be that Scot is just so well trained and such a good boy that he knows he's supposed to pay attention to you no matter what :)

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Yep. Bernard and trey both have been around intact in heat females Without any interest. Beau would turn into a nut. Nikki would even fling her butt at trey and he would just go hide.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Buster turns tail and runs away from them....

While intact the absolute worst thing about a neighbors dog being in heat was that Bus would go off his food and, because of that, vomit bile. He never lost his mind, could still interact with others (dogs or humans) in our yard, could still be off leash in our yard (and respond appropriately to cues)...

I think some boys are just born easy and this is just one more distraction that they've learned to turn out.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Diesel had in season bitches come up to him, in flagging heat, and literally back it up to him. He would lay there and stare at them and never show the slightest interest. He was actually pretty annoyed. Lol.
He did, however, want to go after Aleu. She was the only one that mattered to him.

My dog acted better than a lot of human men. Lol

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Diesel had in season bitches come up to him, in flagging heat, and literally back it up to him. He would lay there and stare at them and never show the slightest interest. He was actually pretty annoyed. Lol.
He did, however, want to go after Aleu. She was the only one that mattered to him.

My dog acted better than a lot of human men. Lol
I've been told that boys tend to be worse with females in their own household for whatever reason. Remains to be seen with Watson.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
My mom had a stallion like that. Which is really weird. He just didn't care one way or another, didn't give a crap about other stallions either.

As far as dogs go, a dog we had years ago, Pirate, didn't care. We took him out to our friends barn where there were several intact females, she bred Yorkies and bulldog mixes, and he never cared. I always thought it had something to do with his diabetes and failing kidneys, but maybe not.

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
I would not call him clueless.. I would call him trained.

I have had bitches in the ring flag Merlin... He knows. He does not react...

Contrary to what some folks think... Dogs do not become mindless freaks around a bitch in heat...

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
There is a guy who comes into the clinic with his bulldogs. The bitch is standing right in front of the male and the male could care a less. Male changes his tune once he sees the vet who does the AI. It is kind of funny to witness.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I would not call him clueless.. I would call him trained.

I have had bitches in the ring flag Merlin... He knows. He does not react...

Contrary to what some folks think... Dogs do not become mindless freaks around a bitch in heat...
I agree....he's trained. ;)

Lars and Ocean spent the day sitting in our car right next to a bitch in season complete with panties in her car at the big cluster we just went to. Both cars were wide open and all the dogs were in crates. Neither boy gave two hoots about her. Dogs totally don't become mindless sex zombies around bitches in season. ;)

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Diesel wasn't trained. Dog had every opportunity to do whatever he pleased and lord knows the females wanted it.

Troubles on the other hand, can't deal with himself. Big, small, tall, short, long, or stumpy, doesn't matter to him. If it's hot so's he. Lol. Sniffing and whining, crying for days after she (whoever it may be) is gone. It's pitiful.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts