Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i know insurance can be very tricky sometime, like policy change, excluding pre-existing conditions ect, potentially high prices.
but if something happens it could potentially save you a bunch of money.

but with the banking money i guess its alright if you can save 30-40$ a month and hope nothing bad happens, and when needed you hopefully only have to put out a couple hundred dollars or less with out breaking your bank.

or a combo of both. maybe find a cheaper insurance like 15 amonth and save 30 in the bank. some what best of both worlds.

so what do you guys think. i am potentially gonna just save some x number of dollars as the insurance is kinda tricky,
thanks for your inputs
dave

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I've had insurance in the past and will again because I found it to be a reasonable price of the peace of mind it gave. The one trouble is, at least in my experience, you have to pay for the procedure and wait to be reimbursed.

This time around I plan to use a combination. I'll get insurance again, I also have a credit card that's been set aside primarily for dog use (mainly emergencies), and I plan to set aside a certain amount of cash each month, even if it's only $5.

What's best is really an individual thing. Some people are great as saving money, other's aren't. Some use credit cards well, while others abuse them and get in trrouble. The one thing I like about insurance is that even if you pay cash or credit for a procedure, you can be reimbursed at least a portion of that cost. But, if you do get insurance, do so now while the dog's a pup so that there will be no or minimal chance of any pre-existing conditions.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I don't regret having pet insurance one bit! I was hesitant to do it at first, and I really wish I hadn't been, because now I have a couple of pre-existing conditions on Luna's record.

At any rate, she's had some more health issues since I got the insurance, so it's definitely been worth it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not trying to hijack the thread, but could anyone suggest a good company to buy pet insurance from? Hobo got a year of insurance when we adopted him but to be honest, I can't figure it out (I'd have to find his papers to say the company as I don't know off-hand who it is) http://http://www.petinsurance.com/affiliates/SearchIntelligence9.aspx?ec=CI0239&src=adwords&gclid=CMTJ4Ljej5kCFQ8eDQod5zunZg <- I'm pretty sure this is the company.
I don't want to over-pay or hand my money over to a company that won't hold their end of the contract.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
One of these days I'm going to do some research on pet insurance to see if it's bogus. My gut says it is like so many other kinds of insurance, but I will freely admit that I have no facts whatsoever to back that up.

I personally own no credit cards and am a proud owner of a rapidly crashing credit score (solely because I have no credit cards). I do however have a well-funded rainy day fund. I would much rather have cash around as I've found I can often get bargains if I pay in cash vs charging and I don't know that that would be different with veterinary services. If my vet knows it's an emergency and they'd normally charge $500 but I've got $300 right here in my hand that I can give her she may work me. Same if it's $5k and I've got $3k. I see insurance as transferring risk to someone else. I've not done enough research on pet insurance to know how much risk I'm transferring to someone else for the price of the policy.

Like I said, I'm a little weird though in that I refuse to borrow money for any reason and keep large ammounts of cash in the bank as a minor insurance policy.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
What's best is really an individual thing. Some people are great as saving money, other's aren't. Some use credit cards well, while others abuse them and get in trrouble.
^^This is very true. So what works for one person might not work for another.

For me, I don't think insurance is (usually) worth the money. It even drives me crazy to have to pay for car and health insurance for myself. Fortunately, my employer-provided health insurance is very inexpensive. With my car insurance I pay about $600 a year. The only claim I've made on it was for about $3000 last year when I hit a deer. Having had the car for 7 years, I've paid about $4200 in premiums.....so, while it was nice not having to cough up $3000 all at once, if I had put the premium money into savings I'd still be ahead. And yes, I do have the financial discipline to put the money away and not spend it.

If I got a dog that had a high risk of health problems, such as an English Bulldog, I'd look further into getting insurance. BUT, a lot of pet insurance companies don't cover genetic problems such as hip dysplasia, so there's really no point.

All insurance is a form of gambling.....you might come out ahead, but more likely you won't (because otherwise the insurance companies woudlnt' be in business).

Anyway.....after all that rambling, I think putting the money into savings is better for me.

·
Registered
166 Posts
personally I don't think the insurance is worth it. Most don't cover genetic problems, so then what does it help me with? :\ Lets see, vaccines? most don't cover that.. What about spay/neuter? ah nope. Allergies? nope. Car accidents should be on your car insurance (mine has a free mortality/up to $1200 injury coverage)

There are other accidents, ones that are unforseeable but if you put away $40/week thats 480/year. Unless you're very unlucky (raises hand, I am very unlucky but still we've only HAD to bring the Rottie we've owned for 6 years to the vet for vaccines and the one dog attack, which set us back 3000, HAD to bring the BC mix we've owned for 7 1/2 years to the vet for just routine shots, and my chessie went to the vet at 8 weeks when we brought him home and shots...

so if I were to put that 480/year away, with my border collie, thats 3600. which may not seem like a lot but even after the rotties attack we'd still have 600 left over, PLUS 6 years of interest on $3000. The fact that you're also gaining interest if left in a saving account is the real reason I don't like insurance companys. potentially if you have a good credit card you can also put your "vet money" in something like an IRA, let it mature, and if you use it in the meantime just use your credit card, pay off the balance when you can touch the money. The whole reason they're willing to take the gamble on your dogs medical bills is because #1 maybe they won't have any or #2 they can use that money to invest and make more money. hmmm, why not cut out the middle man? :)

Also, heres a tip, instead of putting away money every month put away money every week. Why? Because you'd say oh, 40/month is 10/week, they're the same thing, right? No silly :) 40 X 12 = 480, 10 X 52 = 520... you save an extra months worth of moolah, lets face it 10 bucks a week is nothing, my mom used to drink $10/day in coffee... I used to eat $10/week... ok more like 10/day lol on fast food :eek:

Oh, I guess I should add a few things. Most vets require you to pay upfront, they won't do payment plans. I love my dog to death but personally I also feel a lot of surgeries that we CAN do today we shouldn't, it limits quality of life. I wouldn't put any of my parents dogs through a surgery, the rottie's 12 and the BC is 8. So that cuts back on how much we could spend. I avoid dangers (no sticks, we actually do stretches before play an hour or two of ball, etc) and my dog came from a great breeder, with all genetic testing done. We eat very healthy food, I don't let him off leash except in my yard/ somewhere safe etc. I'd rather spend money in preventing conditions than dealing with them. Could something go wrong? Yes, but its also about luck. If my parents border collie (knocks on wood) continues to be healthy and passes away at, lets say 13 years old. If I had her since she was 1 year, putting 10/week in the bank, that would be how much? $6,240
thats pretty hefty, and the best part is that doesn't even count the interest you could have made on that money. You don't use your insurance, you get nothing, you don't use your vet fund, you keep it and save it for the next dog OR thats a down payment on a car... sweet. :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts