Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled a small aussie mix from one of our local shelters that had run out of room, just before she was supposed to be PTS.

We're in the south, and she's obviously a few years old. Her first vet appointment is on Monday, and I'm trying to prepare myself for dealing with her being HW+ (the chances are pretty high).

I had researched and spoken to a few vets and rescues and decided that I would probably do the slow kill with ivermectin- I just don't like the reviews and experiences of owners who used immiticide.

In preperation, should I sign up for pet health insurance before the vet appointment? I've looked online at a few and can't really tell if this would be not covered due to it being "pre existing." We've never had insurance for any of our dogs, but I'm wondering if I should get it in the event that she is HW+ and my vet talks me into the immiticide. She also needs to be spayed and probably have her teeth cleaned.

I hadn't really thought about it until now. I've read the insurance reviews that popped up on the search here, but I guess I'm looking for opinions.

If you rescued a dog that you suspected might be HW+, and at the very least still needed to be spayed, dental, second and third round of vaccs, and just the normal CBC and bloodwork....would you take out an insurance policy before you went to the initial vet visit?

I was going to wait and take one out after the appt once I found out if she really is HW+, but i'm sure that would count as preexisting.

Opinions?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah after looking around at the plans...to get one that covered a spay and teeth cleaning would be a budget friendly price of $49 a month, with a $100 deductible- definitely not worth it. I guess this is when it pays to have a good relationship with your vet. Last time we brought our two foster pups in to her for a cough (rescues vet was too far away) she gave them both two weeks of clavamox and a round of pyrantel, for a whopping total of $8.

i'm pretty sure she's an angel in disguise.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.