Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled a small aussie mix from one of our local shelters that had run out of room, just before she was supposed to be PTS.

We're in the south, and she's obviously a few years old. Her first vet appointment is on Monday, and I'm trying to prepare myself for dealing with her being HW+ (the chances are pretty high).

I had researched and spoken to a few vets and rescues and decided that I would probably do the slow kill with ivermectin- I just don't like the reviews and experiences of owners who used immiticide.

In preperation, should I sign up for pet health insurance before the vet appointment? I've looked online at a few and can't really tell if this would be not covered due to it being "pre existing." We've never had insurance for any of our dogs, but I'm wondering if I should get it in the event that she is HW+ and my vet talks me into the immiticide. She also needs to be spayed and probably have her teeth cleaned.

I hadn't really thought about it until now. I've read the insurance reviews that popped up on the search here, but I guess I'm looking for opinions.

If you rescued a dog that you suspected might be HW+, and at the very least still needed to be spayed, dental, second and third round of vaccs, and just the normal CBC and bloodwork....would you take out an insurance policy before you went to the initial vet visit?

I was going to wait and take one out after the appt once I found out if she really is HW+, but i'm sure that would count as preexisting.

Opinions?

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
If I were inclined to get insurance, I would take the policy out before I got a dog no matter WHERE I got it from. Because almost certainly anything diagnosed at that first appointment will be considered a pre-existing condition if the policy isn't already in effect.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I bet they wouldn't cover HW treatment if the dog had HW at the time the policy was issued. Same for teeth cleaning. I don't think any policy would cover spay surgery.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I bet they wouldn't cover HW treatment if the dog had HW at the time the policy was issued. Same for teeth cleaning. I don't think any policy would cover spay surgery.
Some of the super expensive policies cover dentals and spaying. But I don't think they're cost-effective (although after seeing what some people pay for a spay it might be in some areas!). I don't know what they would do about HW+/timing of the policy. Maybe call their customer service to ask?

·
Registered
246 Posts
NO don't ask customer service!
With Wembley's insurance, anything that is showing a symptom before the policy comes into effect is not covered. It doesn't have to be diagnosed. So don't tell the insurance company if you suspect anything. Sign up for insurance NOW because there may be a wait before it kicks in (Wembley had to wait two weeks to be covered).

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah after looking around at the plans...to get one that covered a spay and teeth cleaning would be a budget friendly price of $49 a month, with a $100 deductible- definitely not worth it. I guess this is when it pays to have a good relationship with your vet. Last time we brought our two foster pups in to her for a cough (rescues vet was too far away) she gave them both two weeks of clavamox and a round of pyrantel, for a whopping total of $8.

i'm pretty sure she's an angel in disguise.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Some of the companies have their "pre-exclusions" listed online, so you can browse before you decide. There are a ridiculous amount of pre-exclusions these days but the last time I looked a lot of them were hereditary (or thought to be hereditary) and/or high risk for specific breeds.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
NO don't ask customer service!
With Wembley's insurance, anything that is showing a symptom before the policy comes into effect is not covered. It doesn't have to be diagnosed. So don't tell the insurance company if you suspect anything. Sign up for insurance NOW because there may be a wait before it kicks in (Wembley had to wait two weeks to be covered).
I didn't mean to call AFTER signing up! I meant call as a curious person considering buying insurance. . .don't give your name if you think you want to get that company's plan. . .maybe use a different phone so they can't identify you, LOL. I think it's something worth asking about.

The policies I looked at didn't exclude HW treatments, but I couldn't determine their timing for diagnosing these things either. There is that ShelterCare insurance that's supposed to cover anything your shelter pet is diagnosed with in the first month after adoption (and you can continue coverage if you want), maybe look into that and see if your shelter has to participate or if anyone can do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts