Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spend about a million dollars on dog toys. Stuffies, kongs, rings, Gonuts, Wubbas, you name it, I have it.

But for variety, I rinsed out a bleach bottle. I let it dry. I rinsed it again. I screwed the lid on so tightly that it will never come off again, and there you have it! My dog's absolute favorite toy. It's an ultra cherished possession.

Sometimes I wonder why we try so hard.

Anyone else have a great accidental toy?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
We've been using plastic bottles for Bella since about she was 13 weeks old :). She just discovered Orange Juice bottles but daddy said no because she makes too much racket with it. :(

Though I probably spend anywhere from 20-50 dollars a months on toys for her - because i feel the need to waste money on things that she will destroy in a week >:]!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Mumble likes leaves. And grass. And pine straw. And bugs. Bugs are his favorite.

When our Westie was a puppy we accidentally dropped an empty 2 liter bottle and he went crazy for it. He likes milk jugs too.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My son keeps leaving half-eaten squishums (squishable apple sauce) laying around. When Wembley finds them before I do, they're his favourite thing in the world for about an hour.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Lucy cares very little for toys she can't eat but, as far as Colt is concerned, anything we give to him with a smile is the best!toy!ever! for at least an hour. Old toilet paper rolls? OMGSHREDIT!!! Plastic bags? OMGNOISY!!! A bottle? OMGCRINKLYCHEWIT!!! We typically buy him something sturdier from the store, though, as I get tired of cleaning up the remains of his dearly departed toys every day.

The only thing he doesn't like very much is the airzooka, which gets him in a right tizzy. :D

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
my mom always just gives the plastic yogurt and sour cream containers to the dogs, they shred them all over the house, then we live with little shreds and sharp(tooth dented) peices of plastic all over because you will always miss peices when cleaning it up. drives me nuts mostly because when I take pics the house looks like a distaster zone, as the camera flash make the missed peices glaringly obvious lol. thats said Gem has a thing for plastic bottles, if you are drinking bottled water, I suggest being aware of your surroundings because she will make off with it water and all. oh and SS dishes..thats a Gem one too, we have stacks of them at work, and one day I was really sick and as I was carrying a stack to the back cupboards I nearly collapsed in the hall, as I sat on the floor with the dishes beside me trying not to pass out, Gem walked over and hit them with her paw sending the dishes crashing all around her, rather then frighten her, this got her all exited, and when I restacked the dishes, she danced around and did it again lol

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
My old slipper. Kabota loves it. He probably has $100 worth of toys in 2.5 months, but my old slipper he found in the back of the closet is the neatest thing ever.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Absolute cheapest accidental toy: Tree branch....works like a flirt pole and is disposable and easily replaceable (we live on the edge of the woods).
We also have access to these epic cardboard tubes that are about 6-7 feet long and about 4 inches in diameter made of super heavy duty cardboard...she goes WILD shredding it (and chasing our shins with it awkwardly) entertainment for all :) just a bit of cardboard to clean up, and we always do it outside so it doesn't make an absolute mess of the house. :D

·
Registered
259 Posts
Jax has, shockingly, not been destructive with toys. Thankfully. He has a stuffed yellow duck, as well as a hedgehog and a monkey head. He loves the mess out of them and will run laps around my small living room with any one of them in his month, including some laps pouncing on the couch and over me. Other than that, he's pretty simple. Tennis balls, hard bones to keep occupied with, outside he likes a few large sticks in the yard as well as a mountain dew bottle he's had a blast with.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Holly plays with plastic bottles, she loves it when i move them across the floor, she loves to pounce on them then, she will also fetch them too, i swear she will play with anything, and fetch anything too!.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Sticks! Katie loves sticks. She has a collection in the side yard and a pile by both doors (she quickly learned that sticks stay outside). She's especially funny when she finds one that's 2-3 times as long as she is and tries to drag it across the yard to add to her collection.

Greater Swiss - I love the idea of a branch as a flirt pole. I was just thinking yesterday that Katie needs one.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Yes, plastic bottles! Also excellent for long car rides. Buy soda, drink soda, give empty soda bottle to dog.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Oooh, I almost forgot, another great toy outside is ice on the ground. We just point at it with our toe and go "what's that?" She'll arch right up and pounce on the spot and start digging. Its bizarre how much she loves that :D

cookieface, the branch flirt pole was an accidental find.....I was grabbing a branch to make a weiner stick for the fire in the back yard. Lets just say I lost the first two weiner sticks lol. Glad I clued in though, a very cheap fun and interactive toy :D I can actually let her off leash for it!

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
A roll of paper towels. Originally was an accident (left one laying within reach) but occasionally I'll give them one on purpose.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Anything cardboard, like tops of boxes. EVERYONE LOVES to shred those. Plastic bottles, Toilet Paper rolls, and *anything* they're NOT supposed to have--LOL!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Nothing is quite as exciting to Molly as a pair of freshly removed socks, esp. if they've been worn all day. She doesn't eat or chew them so I don't worry about giving them to her. She just likes to play with them or carry them around like a treasure. It's so cute the way she watches my husband or me get undressed, eyes on the feet, waiting for the sock treat. Sometimes, I'll take a sock only half off & let her pull it the whole way off.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts