Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog is now an inside dog after being an outside dog for a while and he is transitioning quite nicely, but I have a question. He sleeps for the majority of the day and I feel bad when I have to put him inside the crate for bed time for another 8 hours. I can't keep him occupied for the whole day, so what can I do?

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
What kind of dog and how old is he? Some dogs just like sleeping. He's still getting long enough walks and what exercise that way right? You could also give him bones and toys to keep entertained for a while if he's interested.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Why do you put him in the crate at night? I would only put an adult dog in his crate at night if there was some issue, or if he really loved his crate.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why do you put him in the crate at night? I would only put an adult dog in his crate at night if there was some issue, or if he really loved his crate.
Should I just let him walk around in my room after he doesn't feel like sleeping anymore?

I was under the impression most people crate their dogs when they go to sleep.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What kind of dog and how old is he? Some dogs just like sleeping. He's still getting long enough walks and what exercise that way right? You could also give him bones and toys to keep entertained for a while if he's interested.
He's a lab/collie mix and he's 1 year old. He always has a bone to play with, and I give him a couple rawhide to chew, but I don't want to overdo it on the chew toys.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Should I just let him walk around in my room after he doesn't feel like sleeping anymore?

I was under the impression most people crate their dogs when they go to sleep.
My dog is 18 months old and she just sleeps on her bed. I haven't used her crate since she was 4 months old. Never had any accidents or had anything badly chewed. I only would really crate a dog if I didn't trust them toilet wise or mischief wise. You can never really over do it on the chew toys if they are the right chew toys. Nylabones and kongs etc, not rawhides or bones.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
My 3 aren't crated. Once they are housebroken and have proven they behave, I would only crate occasionally (like if you have guests with kids). If the dog doesn't get into things or have accidents, medical needs (or have another pet that you need to keep separated.), there really isn't a reason to crate. Leave the crate open and give him a treat in it at bedtime, and see how he does if you want.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
We've had some dogs crated at night and some loose. The loose ones have slept in our room or in the living room. The ones in our room just sleep because we are; I assume the ones out here sleep too as I am a very light sleeper and if they walked around, I'd hear them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I agree with the others - I would only crate an adult dog if he had potty issues or couldn't be trusted on his own in the house. Melonie hasn't been crated since her first week in our house. She sleeps in our room and doesn't seem to go anywhere during the night, other than maybe moving from our bed to the floor or vice versa. Jameson is crated because he's newer to us (less than a month with us) and he's really, really mischievous - he's been putting his paws up on countertops, putting his nose into everything, etc., so I don't trust him unsupervised. As soon as I feel like I can though I'll be getting rid of the crate. Unless your pup has issues like that, I'd just let him roam if you feel bad.

Also, definitely get him a few more toys - something that will entertain him, not just for chewing. Something he can rip at, kongs stuffed with treats, that kind of thing. How much exercise and interaction is he getting?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sort of having the same problem. I have a lab mix (which i got as a puppy) and she stays in her crate at night with no prob b/c she's still little and gets into EVERYTHING! I also have a bullmastiff (6.5years) that has recently moved inside from being outside most of his life. I adopted him a few years ago. Well he has his own room and all. Its large, comfy, and he has his toys in there. However, he has managed to learn to get out of the room or beat on the door all night until we come open it. I prefer him in room at night b/c if not he walks around the house all night and bumps into things. (Hes completely blind) When i am home, he has free range of the house and HAS to be where ever i am. He has been like since i adopted him. However, the BF doesn't think he should sleep in our room b/c he walks around and he isn't the quietest dog in the world and it keeps him up. Need advice on what to do...its either let him walk around the house all night (b/c he sleeps the majority of the day and only a few hours at night after a long walk that is given right before i go to bed), have him in our room and loud, or have him beat on his room door until we open it! Its been like this for a week and i'm quite sleepy.... Help! Maybe he just wants to be with me when sleeping....which is what i'm thinking...

·
Registered
56 Posts
lol. well to be honest he has compromised so much with me b/c he didn't want dogs inside to begin with. Not every day at least...maybe in extreme hot/cold weather but he has allowed them in so i hate to push my limits lol! I will prob just try him in our room tonight and if he moves around i'll go in the extra bedroom with him where he can move all he wants and i'll put my ear plugs in! i just dont know what to do b/c he does NOT want to stay alone at night!!!!

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I have no real input, but wanted to add I don't know a single dog (as a dogsitter and a family full of dogs) whose dogs sleep in their crates at night lol. Even the ones that stay there during the day, sleep outside of it during the night.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts