Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got two Lab/Beagles that bark at everything:people walking down the sidewalk,down the street,plastic bags blowing by you name it.And if one don't see or hear it the other sets it off and she comes running not even knowing what she's baking at.:crazy:
My wife saw an add for this shirt?you put on a dog that is suppose to work miracles, but it sounds a little hinky.:suspicious:

·
Registered
395 Posts
IMO, Thundershirts are for stressful things, like thunder-storms, fire-works, etc...NOT for things that can use training.
They are a tool....training is still required.

I have a Pug/x that would LOVE to bark at all those things as well....however I work with him daily and he knows "enough", "no barking", etc...which it sounds like is what your dogs need to be worked with!:)

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
We use the thundershirt and love it!

But i don't think it is right for your situation.
Its for fearful dogs.

·
Registered
395 Posts
We use the thundershirt and love it!

But i don't think it is right for your situation.
Its for fearful dogs.
Yep, agreed....I will be getting one for Leo before next 4th of July, hopefully before new years!
However I feel that the OP's dogs need training, and probably a good behaviorist to help!:)

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Try walking dogs separately, may not help but won't hurt and you won't know anything till you try (if you haven't already) I know nothing about the Thunder-Shirt but it's another thing you don't know unless you try it. I agree with others that training would be way to go. One problem is when dogs are together one dog barks and then other one jumps in and it snowballs. How old are these dogs. If a plastic bag that a dog has never seen before blows toward dogs defense may kick in and then if/when bag blows right by prey can kick in, is this what's happening I don't have a clue. Just throwing it out here.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
I have a thundershirt for Cracker, I use it in all high stress situations (thunderstorms, firecrackers etc) and it does help. But it is not a replacement for classical conditioning or training. They simply help calm the dog so that they are better able to cope with the stressor.
Your beagle mixes sound somewhat reactive but I can't say whether they are fearful or just jumpy if that makes sense..they are also hounds and hounds have a lot to say, especially if someone else spoke first..lol
I too would try walking them separately and doing the Look at That game or something similar (LAT is from the book Control Unleashed) and is great for reactivity. If you want to try the thundershirts to keep their stress hormones in check there is nothing wrong with trying it..they are 100 percent guaranteed so you can return them for refund if it doesn't help. But they are not a replacement for the training.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts