Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently feeding my puppy Purina One because that was what my vet told me was one of the best. I believe he couldn't be more wrong and would like to feed him something mush better. I found Innova and it looks pretty good. Does anyone feed this and what do you think of it?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Unfortunately, some veterinary offices are endorsed my commercial dog food companies, and promote their product. They don't always recommend what's best in that case. When my dog was a puppy, I fed her the Innova puppy food. It was alright, the ingredients were better than a lot of commercial dog foods. However, I found that my puppy didn't really enjoy it that much. It also made her poop more and they were kind of mushy. I switch her over to Acana when she was old enough to eat adult food (she was so little it took her forever to finish that bag of Innova, lol). She likes Acana a lot more, and her poops have improved significantly. Not saying that Innova would make your puppy poop a lot and make them mushy. You'll have to try it out and see what it does, lol. Its ingredients list I give a thumbs up, but how it reacted with a pup, I wouldn't feed it to her again. Some dogs just react differently to different brands. If you're looking for another brand, I would recommend Acana, it's like Orijen, but cheaper (made by the same company).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't find Acana but I will keep looking. My puppy has a rash that I was thinking may be food related and I was hoping to find something that has as few (or no) fillers as possible.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Try looking in those smaller pet shops and see if they have it. I found out in my area that the big pet store chains never really have stuff like Acana.

·
Banned
28 Posts
I am currently feeding my puppy Purina One because that was what my vet told me was one of the best. I believe he couldn't be more wrong and would like to feed him something mush better. I found Innova and it looks pretty good. Does anyone feed this and what do you think of it?
It is about the same quality as Purina One but twice as expensive. Don't be fooled by the more expensive foods that are marketed as people food and don't be fooled by Champion., Acana & Orijen.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, so what foods are better then Purina One? The ingredients in Innova for example look a lot better then Purina One.

·
Banned
28 Posts
Okay, so what foods are better then Purina One? The ingredients in Innova for example look a lot better then Purina One.
Of course they look better, that is point, but it doesn't mean they are. The current trend is to make you feel that your puppy is a baby. 90% of pet food is bought by women, true, so marketing is targeted that way.

Have you ever seen that Blue Buffalo commercial? "We love Bailey like family, so we feed him like family?" Nuff Said.

I don't know where you live or what is convenient for you to buy, but I would stick to a simple Chicken & Rice food, and you can do better than both Purina One or Innova for less money. Innova is close to $2lb for basically nothing.

Annamaet, Precise (Standard), Dr. Tim's are probably the three best foods on the market. If Petco & Petsmart are convenient for you then I would just buy Pro Plan Chicken & Rice ALS. Fromm Classics and Nutrisource are good one too.

Really depends on what is convenient for you. You may not be able to find Annamaet or Dr. Tim's. Precise, Nutrisource and Fromm, probably.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
walterdog, please, i would love to know how you concluded that these 2 foods are comparable?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts