Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

My dog went into what I thought was her first heat (she is approximately 6 months) a week and a half ago. I noticed red discharge for only 4 days. Her vulva is slightly swollen and her nipples are also swollen. I have not noticed any discharge since, and male dogs do not seem to be paying her the attention I was expecting. I've done some research and it seems to me she may be having a split heat but I'm not quite sure how to tell! Can someone please give me some information on this. There is very little reliable sources on the internet.

I should also note that I live on a very isolated Northern Reserve. There are many stray dogs here that have not been fixed, which is why I am most suspicious over the lack of interest in her. She also does not seem to be 'flagging' and male dogs only seem to sniff her with little interest.

And yes, I do plan to get her fixed.... as soon as I can get her on a plane out of here. No I cannot get her looked at by a vet- there are none here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's probably a normal heat. They only bleed for a few days, some don't bleed at all. My two females are in the house with an intact male every heat and he is not interested in either of them but only a few days out of the heat. The females in heat are usually more of a pain than the male. I have never had any stray dogs come running to my house when they are in heat.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts