Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my pugs Ellie & Sophie to the vet last tuesday for their annual vaccinations & exam. On this last monday we noticed that Ellie had a very large bump on her neck (Cervical) area. (Right around where they gave her her injections.) It didn't seem to bother her when was checking it out but it was about the size of a half dollar coin. Today (Wednesday) it is about the size of a nickel.

Upon further investigation Sophie has a very small bump too in about the same spot.
Is it normal for the skin tissue to harden in a literal lump?
I plan on waiting a few more days before taking her to the vet, but i was just curious if anyone else had a similar experience?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
It's very common in cats. Yeah, it's an inflammatory response. If it doesn't go away in a week or two, have the vet take a look because it can become cancerous (not as common in dogs but it's not unheard of). But if it does go away everything should be fine.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I would call the vet & find out which vaccine was given at that location (if they received more than one at the same time). For example, if your dog got a lump with the kennel cough injectable vaccine, then they could make a note & give them the nasal spray kennel cough vaccine. Or my dog tends to react to vaccines in her shoulders but does better when they give them in her back legs....so you could ask if it is an option next time - especially as small dogs. (My vet also does not charge for follow up visits for vaccine problems (other than prescription costs) so you might be able to bring them in without paying again if needed - would need to ask what your vet's policy is.)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Hey, I have a very good friend in K'zoo!

Definitely call your vet and ask. (Or email, both the vets I use are responsive through email.) Vets don't mind people asking questions. In fact, they much prefer people who are concerned, and ask questions, to owners who don't care and never call until their dog is at death's door. So go ahead and ask.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
There is an oral bordatella vaccine now available. Also wonder why your vet is vaccinating in the shoulder region still.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts