Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I'm looking for a good indoor potty solution for a larger breed of dog. My pupper in question is a husky! It's hard to always let her outside to use the bathroom in my current living condition, so I was looking for something she can use indoors without issues. Most of the indoor solution I come across are too small for this breed. Any suggestions? She's 8 months old and getting bigger! Thanks!

·
Registered
8,361 Posts
Give you what I have seen set up at dog shows. fenced off area, layered with shavings... The term without issues maybe not be what you can get... What you need to do for necessity at this time is a better mindset to make work what you can... Larger Breeds will be able to mature to hold it longer when they need to.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Huskies need exercise. How are you going to do that if you don't even take your dog out to pee? That's something that should really have been considered before getting the dog.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh I run around with her in the yard and get her exercise in, no worries there. The issue is that we have 2 chihuahuas and they don't get along with my husky at ALL! So what I have to do is put the chihuahuas in a dog run for half the day every day so my husky can get her exercise in. The issue is that I can't let her outside several times a day because that involves closing off the chihuahuas every time with their own food and water and such. For the half the day she's indoors is why I need an indoor solution in the first place.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about using a kiddie pool lined with paper or shavings?
THAT might be a good idea! Didn't even think of that, been looking at all of these other pet oriented solutions that I forgot to keep it simple! Doh!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Why not just take her for a walk to go potty? Doesn't have to be a long walk, simply to relieve herself and then back inside. That is what most people would do. You run the risk of messing up house training when you allow pottying inside, even in a designated area.

If you are only having an issue for half the day, an adult dog should be able to hold it that long. Most adults can comfortably hold it for 8+ hours, although it isn't really kind to make them hold it much longer than that regularly if you can avoid it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why not just take her for a walk to go potty? Doesn't have to be a long walk, simply to relieve herself and then back inside. That is what most people would do. You run the risk of messing up house training when you allow pottying inside, even in a designated area.

If you are only having an issue for half the day, an adult dog should be able to hold it that long. Most adults can comfortably hold it for 8+ hours, although it isn't really kind to make them hold it much longer than that regularly if you can avoid it.
8+ hours huh? My pup has a bad habit of peeing every hour, even though it's barely anything. Kinda weird that she doesn't normally hold it for a while, just pees the tiniest bit as soon as she can. I might have to just take her out in the front yard every now and then with a harness and let her do her thing like that, it's exhausting managing this one with these Chihuahuas around, they're mean. And my husky is a good girl! I never liked Chihuahuas lol

·
Registered
966 Posts
8+ hours huh? My pup has a bad habit of peeing every hour, even though it's barely anything. Kinda weird that she doesn't normally hold it for a while, just pees the tiniest bit as soon as she can. I might have to just take her out in the front yard every now and then with a harness and let her do her thing like that, it's exhausting managing this one with these Chihuahuas around, they're mean. And my husky is a good girl! I never liked Chihuahuas lol
A trip to the vet to rule out an infection or physical abnormality would be a good idea. If there isn't anything like that going on, try stretching out the time before taking her out. Instead of one hour, try an hour and fifteen minutes. If that goes well, stretch that to an hour and thirty minutes. Once she's adjusted to the new interval, stretch it out a bit longer.

My GSD was well over a year old before she could hold it for more than six hours, but eventually she matured, and no longer needs an early morning potty run. It just took patience to get her there.

And I've met some lovely Chihuahuas.

·
Registered
549 Posts
My 2yo Newf still can't hold it longer than 7 hours.

When we had to separate our dogs, we just rotated them between one room and the rest of the house, rotating again every hour when we let one of them out. But yes, just taking her out in the front yard every hour is much better long term than getting a dog used to peeing inside.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Yeah, there are always exceptions to the rule. For the most part, adult dogs can easily hold it for a whole work day. Otherwise we would hear a lot more people complaining about this topic. Every person who has a dog and works a typical 9-5 and isn't able to come home for lunch to let the dog out would come home to accidents every single day. That doesn't happen to every dog owner. I think a lot less people would have dogs if that was the case.

I also think that some dogs are more inclined to try and hold it than others. One of my dogs will wait until she is absolutely exploding if she's had to hold it for a while, and if we are home and she has to go she will pester and whine and bark at us until someone gets the hint. One of my dogs will definitely pee in the house if he isn't let out regularly and he will not warn you. However, that dog is also a 15 pound dog who holds it for a 8-9 hour work day and overnight for 8-10 hours without a problem, as long as he is let out just before going to work/to bed. I do not restrict water, and he only poops once a day, before bed.

It sounds like your dog needs to go to the vet if she is peeing very small amounts every hour. That is far from normal. If she gets the clear and it is really just a bad habit, then you can work on extending the time between potty trips.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts