Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 7 month old husky mix that I have trained to sit, stay, down, heel, etc. using positive reinforcement methods and she is perfectly behaved indoors and responds immediately to every command but then when we are outside she will not respond to any of them. When I tell her to sit and we are outdoors, she looks at me as though she does not understand vs. a look of defiance. Other times, I will whistle for her to heel (works indoors) and she does not heel so I go to get her and she turns it into "play time" and runs from me as though we are playing when she knows from my tone of voice that we are not playing.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Perfectly normal. He's not being obstinate. They don't generalize training from one place to another. Inside the house, "sit" means sit. Outside the house, it means nothing until you train it. There is an old saying that a dog isn't obedient to a command until you train it in at least 5 different places. Some people say 10 different places. The point is, you should train obedience everywhere you can.

The same thing is at play when you deal with distance. The dog may be 100% on his sit, when he is right next to you. From 50 ft. away, they don't seem to understand it means the same thing.

It's a process.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts