Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Indie had a break through today, I think?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  LealMayer 
#1 · (Edited)
So we went to a dog park for the first time in a long time today.
There were a few unfixed males there and one took a particular interest in indie.

It was following her around persistently and trying to hump her and sniff her bits, the lady was nice and tried to control her dog and what not but to no prevail really. I was ready to take indie home as she was getting fed up and she isn't the kind of dog to say no.

Well today indie stood up for herself! She did perfectly!
She gave off a warning growl and when the dog persisted she gave him a little snap. It was like an in the air snap. She has never ever corrected another dog or anything of the sort and I didn't know if I should reward her or not, but I said good girl and the dog backed off and we got to stay at the park a little longer :)

Does this mean she is growing more confident and what not? What does it really mean in Doggy terms?

Edited to add she has been given the all clear from the vet a week ago as well so pretty sure its not a health problem.

See less See more
#2 ·
Perfect! We call that a snark! It's not quite a slap in the face, more like a "Little boy, let's just be friends." :)

My dog is the other side of that equation... even though he was fixed at 6 mos and he's 11 yo (!!!), he got a whiff of eau d'estrus a few years ago, initiating some carnal rumblings. He is completely non-aggressive, but absolutely Pepe' Le Pew persistent, and I applaud when a female tells him off. If she doesn't, I have to rush in to break them up, and if she escalates too much, he usually does a playbow which stop over aggression.

Indie is getting more confident, and I believe that she is ready for exposure to more dogs... so that she learns that most dogs just want to play.

#4 ·
Yay I am glad she is learning, she has come such a long way in the time i have had her. I honestly never thought she would get to this point, she used to wee if she even saw another dog and if the dog came close it was on her back an wee all over herself. She would sit and let dogs do whatever no matter how rough it got. So I was especially happy today when she did this.
No more peeing either :) she still doesn't get the hole play thing. All she does is circle them and chase lol she is a shepherd through and through.
Is it stupid that I feel like I should attribute this to what I was feeding as well? She was on royal canin then I wised up and switched to TOTW, then I started giving her raw and she is like a whole new dog! She is a lot harder to tire as well, take her out for an hour trek and she is still rearing to go when we get home.
Hard work finally paying off!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.