Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom's pit bull mix chews up most toys. We have had good luck with Kongs, but not much else. I bought him a Tuffie Toy that was supposed to be for the strongest chewers, and he had a hole chewed in it in no time. I'm guessing that stuffed toys are out entirely, but does anyone have any suggestions for toys that he won't destroy in two hours?

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
My guy also quickly did in a tuffie, they aren't that strong against a dog who WANTS to take it apart. I've thought about trying a goughnut but I'm pretty sure if it is tough enough Jubel will quickly lose interested. If he can't destroy it it's not as much fun to him, makes it hard to have toys for him in general.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had some luck with these: http://www.goughnuts.com/
Thanks - something like this might work!

My guy also quickly did in a tuffie, they aren't that strong against a dog who WANTS to take it apart. I've thought about trying a goughnut but I'm pretty sure if it is tough enough Jubel will quickly lose interested. If he can't destroy it it's not as much fun to him, makes it hard to have toys for him in general.
Shelby had a great time tearing the Tuffie Toy apart. He was so happy unstuffing it; it was kind of cute. Shelby does like to play fetch, so I think some of the goughnut products might be good for him.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
My dog takes about 2 minutes to destroy anything that's stuffed. Now, this isn't an indestructable toy, but it has no stuffing and is one my dog has had the longest (about a year). http://www.petstages.com/dogs/playing/stuffing-free-gator.html (Got it at Target.)

She did pull/chew off the felt accents, like the fins and the teeth, but the toy overall is still going strong. And, the good (or bad) thing is that it still squeaks very loudly -two tones - even after it gets punctured.

She does have a couple other things that have stood up well too, but I don't know who makes them so they're hard to find links to.

Edit: Oh I know you mentioned Kongs, but I don't know if you mean the food-dispensing ones or what. Kong Wubbas are pretty durable too.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
The standard nylabones have been good. I bought this nylabone product and he started popping out the red nubs within minutes, took about an hour cummulative time for him to cause it to split apart along it's seem. I just recently got him one of these and so far it's holding up the same as a standard nylabone.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
A horse jolly ball which can be found at most tack stores as well as most TSC stores. I have had good luck with those lol. Also most Petco/ petsmart stores have "toughie" toys (I have a "toughie" toy dog so I feel you :/). Even for my other dog I buy them cuz they a)last longer & b)if my "toughie" dog steals the toy I know it won't be destroyed lol.

·
Super Moderator
11,514 Posts
After Esther dispatched a black Kong into so many pieces, I couldn't even gather them up, I decided that "indestructible" is a relative term.

The pet store gave me a refund, after quizzing me about what kind of beast I have, and I bought a couple of Nylabones, which hold up pretty well.

Tougher toys seem to bring out the shark in her but high-value, more delicate treasures - like tennis balls - are never destroyed.

When we first got her, before she was even slightly domesticated, she had a cheap squeak toy that she played with for a week before trashing it. I believe it was probably the first toy she ever had, so it may have deserved more consideration.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I like sterilized bones too. And raw beef bones from the butcher. However, the raw bones don't actually LAST as they have to be thrown out after a day, but they are cheap and my dogs love, love, love them.

I've had some luck with the Tirebiters toys, however, some of them temporarily discolored my carpet when being actively chewed. It didn't stain, but it worried me at first!

My orbies have stood up too.

I also own kong killers. Nylabones, goughnuts, and jolly bones are great. Tuffy toys are fun, but the sqeakers are gone in minutes. Fortunately, mine will play with the "carcass" for months.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My dog takes about 2 minutes to destroy anything that's stuffed. Now, this isn't an indestructable toy, but it has no stuffing and is one my dog has had the longest (about a year). http://www.petstages.com/dogs/playing/stuffing-free-gator.html (Got it at Target.)

She did pull/chew off the felt accents, like the fins and the teeth, but the toy overall is still going strong. And, the good (or bad) thing is that it still squeaks very loudly -two tones - even after it gets punctured.

She does have a couple other things that have stood up well too, but I don't know who makes them so they're hard to find links to.

Edit: Oh I know you mentioned Kongs, but I don't know if you mean the food-dispensing ones or what. Kong Wubbas are pretty durable too.
That is pretty neat, I might have to try it! Shelby loves loud squeakers - though my parents may not be as thrilled!

http://www.jwpet.com/dog/megalasttoys.html

We got the blue ball pictured on the left for Max, and it seems to have lasted much longer than other rubber toys. What's nice about JW is that they make 'natural rubber' softer toys, and then their megalast line.
I will look into that, thanks!

After Esther dispatched a black Kong into so many pieces, I couldn't even gather them up, I decided that "indestructible" is a relative term.

The pet store gave me a refund, after quizzing me about what kind of beast I have, and I bought a couple of Nylabones, which hold up pretty well.

Tougher toys seem to bring out the shark in her but high-value, more delicate treasures - like tennis balls - are never destroyed.

When we first got her, before she was even slightly domesticated, she had a cheap squeak toy that she played with for a week before trashing it. I believe it was probably the first toy she ever had, so it may have deserved more consideration.
Shelby destroys everything that he can, but he is definitely no Esther - his black kong has survived so far!

I see several people have mentioned Nylabone products; I will have to go to Petsmart/Petco and take a look at them.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A horse jolly ball which can be found at most tack stores as well as most TSC stores. I have had good luck with those lol. Also most Petco/ petsmart stores have "toughie" toys (I have a "toughie" toy dog so I feel you :/). Even for my other dog I buy them cuz they a)last longer & b)if my "toughie" dog steals the toy I know it won't be destroyed lol.
A jolly ball might be good. I hadn't thought of that. That would be a really great toy for him to play with outside.

I like sterilized bones too. And raw beef bones from the butcher. However, the raw bones don't actually LAST as they have to be thrown out after a day, but they are cheap and my dogs love, love, love them.

I've had some luck with the Tirebiters toys, however, some of them temporarily discolored my carpet when being actively chewed. It didn't stain, but it worried me at first!

I also own kong killers. Nylabones, goughnuts, and jolly bones are great. Tuffy toys are fun, but the sqeakers are gone in minutes. Fortunately, mine will play with the "carcass" for months.
Shelby likes the carcass too. He quit chewing on it once he had completely unstuffed it and just carried it around for hours. Weird dog!

Oh, and he does get bones and bully sticks, he just really likes toys. I always buy something for mom and dad's dogs for Christmas, and I was just plain out of ideas for Shelby. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts

Buff likes to peel the felt off of tennis balls *sigh*. If we could get it off 100% I'd let her play with it anyway, but there's always more to pull and I don't want her swallowing it. As for stuffed toys, she will gnaw and fuss at it until every last bit of stuffing is out. She even got one of those longer mostly non-stuffed toys turned completely inside-out to get to the golf-ball-sized wad of stuffing in its head.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Jubel is just in it for destruction which I wouldn't mind so much if he wasn't likely to try and eat parts that come off. In the case of the tuffie he ran around happy with a new toy for a few minutes squeeking with just about every step. Then he settled down and starting gnawing with his back molars on a seam to begin the destruction. To prolong the life of this $15 toy I practiced a lot of "drop" with him and I'd either hand it back hoping he'd start chewing on another corner (no luck there) or toss it across the room for him to go chase. He'd go fetch it and settle back down in front of me to gnaw some more. I think the tuffie lived about 3 hours of cummulative time before I decided it was nearly unsafe for him.

Most of the toys that are tough enough or large enough to prevent him from getting his molars around it he loses interest in pretty quickly. I got one of the tire chews with a rope through it, he gnawed through the rope and once I removed the rope he hasn't touched it since. Only had one tennis ball in the house when I first brought him home. He swallowed parts of it before I knew how destructive he was and puked it back up a few hours later.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Mine have been okay with the extreme kong regulars and the bone thing, but I bought the extreme kong flying disc and it was destroyed in 5 minutes! no joke. Tennis balls last 15 minutes before they're defuzzed. I got some nylabones but they don't like them very well.

Strangely, if I buy any round/oval/pear-shaped stuffed toy, it lasts and they love it to death, but 99% of all stuffed toys last 2 minutes or less. Ones without squeakers work better for me, too,because they tear the squeaker out of anything right away.

To the OP: maybe some twisted cotton rope toys? Those last a while for mine, but only without attached balls and things. One had a plastic bone on it and the bone was destroyed right away. It's very weird for me, because my last dog NEVER ruined a stuffed toy or anything else.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Kodi is a toy destroyer. I had to get rid of all his soft toys as he would pull at them and swallow threads. He puts holes in just about anything and chews off pieces. He won't play with really hard "indestructible" toys. Believe it or not, I saw these rubber chickens in Walmart. They are silly looking, floppy, in different colors with polka dots on them and a squeaker in the throat. I bought him one and he played with it a couple of weeks and then the squeaker broke but he still played with it. I got him another one about a month ago and the squeaker is still working, but not quite as good as when it was new. These are his absolute favorite toys and he plays with them, shakes them, bites them, and tries to kill them almost constantly. So far he has not punctured either one or chewed off any pieces. I'm not sure whether it is the toughness of the toy (it doesn't seem that tough) or whether he is just satisfied with biting and shaking it and doesn't try to chew off pieces. When they are new, the squeaker can be pretty noisy, but they seem to wear out.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts

*chuckle* ...... Carcass :) same here, tho I don't get squeakys, they just don't last ... Except the balls with the little feet & only cuz she can't get her mouth around them lol.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Caeda has graduated into being a super heavy chewer. They Nylabone for heavy chewers is the only thing that has lasted over a week (forget bullys.....maybe an hour?). The big Kong Wubba we got her shockingly enough lasted about a month, probably mostly because it is so huge to get her mouth around and the cloth is tough enough to take some time to shred :p

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
The big Kong Wubba we got her shockingly enough lasted about a month, probably mostly because it is so huge to get her mouth around and the cloth is tough enough to take some time to shred :p
Man, I was so disappointed with the Kong Wubba. We got the big blue one and Biscuit shredded the tentacles in maybe ten minutes.

Also overrated: bully sticks (45 minutes if that) and the annoyingly-expensive Himalayan Dog Chew.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts