Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Increasing dogs food amount Question

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Kathyy 
#1 ·
So my puppy is getting bigger, and i havnt increased his food intake in a while..

His poops this past week started getting REALLY small, like 2 small little things and so I assumed that its time to up his feeding.

I've been giving him about 1& 1/4 cups 3 times a day and his poops are always nice and solid, hes regular... I've increased it by 1/4 cup to 1.5 cups 3 times a day and now his poops are huge and very soft... Is it going to take him a few days to adjust to the increase in food? Or did I simply increase it by too much?

Discussion starter · #4 ·
It sounds like you incresed it to much. Was he loosing weight before? Is that why you increased it or just because of smaller poops? If he wasnt loosing weight I would go back to what he was eating. Otherwise increase it very lightly.
Well his weight was increased VERY slowly (less than 1lb a week, and that's at 4 months), by small poops, i mean the size of two ping pong balls, they have been slowly shrinking for a while, were this small for about 3 days so I figured it was time to increase.

So i upped by the 1/4 cup and as of now his poops are getting more and more solid every bowel movement and he seems to be more fulfilled after each meal... I guess next time i should increase it more slowly over a few days instead of jacking it up in one day.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Puppies need water in their kibble because they do not know how to stay properly hydrated, and dog food is extremely dehydrating. I always spray down my puppies food with some hot water so that its all nice and wet with just barely some "gravey" water swirling at the bottom, it seems to bring out the flavor and he likes it better that way.

My dog is about 32lbs right now, he'll get to around 70 when hes full grown, hes very active and is fed 3 times a day.

I'm already feeding less than what is recommended by the manufacturer by a slight amount, his poops have returned to the normal two ~5" (around that lol i don't really measure) solid poops like normal... I might cut down just barely bit to see get them a little firmer as they still seem a little too soft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.