Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,
I've been having a terrible time finding a groomer for my standard poodle. I had a groomer I LOVED. She got him to a cut that I wanted to continue but each time he went in, the cut changed more than I thought necessary. Am I expecting the impossible? Can a cut not be done similarly each time? He goes in every 4 to 6 weeks so it's not an issue of mating. I'm not really particularl about his body or tail. The body is 1 length, pretty short. Tail looks like a bottle brush. His head/ears is my biggy. I want his head to be a globe. NO EAR DENTS!!!! I have provided the groomer with photos showing the cut, that she did, and that I'd like continue. She basically fired me as a client, saying I don't know what I want, but I'm showing her side by side photos of the gorgeous groom vs the next several grooms. The difference is very apparent.

My first question is, am I asking too much? Is it impossible to get the same groom each time?

I've tried several other groomers, showing the photos I took of the cut I like and showing photos of what I DO NOT like. EAR DENTS!

I found a groomer that was getting close. She said, oh, you want a Bichon head. Still, ear dents. Is there any Standard Poodle grooming lingo that I don't know about?

Here's my dog with the cut I want repeated:

This is the next groom. She fired me when I wasn't happy:

And these are other groomers. What the heck!

Any suggestions? Still growing out the last picture above. The "Bichon head" groomer came after this. She still wasn't getting his cut back. Still ear dents.

Thanks for any input!!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
No pictures came through. Have you considered grooming her yourself?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No pictures came through. Have you considered grooming her yourself?
I'll check and see what's going on with the photos. Yes, I've considered grooming myself. Thinking I'd get him groomed professionally but tell them not to cut his head/ears. IDK!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Okay, I was wondering what you meant when you said "ear dents". The top picture it is the way a lot of dogs in an HCC have their heads, with no definition between the topknot and ear. The middle two pictures are a variation on that, with a slight definition between the topknot and ears. The bottom picture is a typical pet clip topknot and ear style. You basically want him in a Lamb clip with a full head.

There is a Poodle Forum Poodle Forum that has lots of info, and someone there might be able to better tell you how to let your groomer know what topknot and ear style you want.

·
Banned
625 Posts
Are you talking to the actual groomer or a receptionist? Possibly your requirements are not getting through to the person with the scissors.

I'd suggest having a conversation with the person doing the clipping.

I think the dog looks great. Sometimes the hair wants to do its own thing. I have a mini-schnauzer that I clip myself. Tried groomers, but never got what I wanted and several times his toenails were quicked. So, I decided to groom instead. After all, its only hair, it'll grow out. Anyhow, his mustache, beard and eyebrows are always wonky. He moves at the precise time the scissors cut or the hair does its own thing. All in all, my dog is a pet in good health, good behavior and good hygiene. I really can't ask for much more.

My point, sometimes the hair will do its own thing. You may need to adapt the cut or learn to accept some deviations.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I was wondering what you meant when you said "ear dents". The top picture it is the way a lot of dogs in an HCC have their heads, with no definition between the topknot and ear. The middle two pictures are a variation on that, with a slight definition between the topknot and ears. The bottom picture is a typical pet clip topknot and ear style. You basically want him in a Lamb clip with a full head.

There is a Poodle Forum Poodle Forum that has lots of info, and someone there might be able to better tell you how to let your groomer know what topknot and ear style you want.
Thank you!!! I'll check it out!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you talking to the actual groomer or a receptionist? Possibly your requirements are not getting through to the person with the scissors.

I'd suggest having a conversation with the person doing the clipping.

I think the dog looks great. Sometimes the hair wants to do its own thing. I have a mini-schnauzer that I clip myself. Tried groomers, but never got what I wanted and several times his toenails were quicked. So, I decided to groom instead. After all, its only hair, it'll grow out. Anyhow, his mustache, beard and eyebrows are always wonky. He moves at the precise time the scissors cut or the hair does its own thing. All in all, my dog is a pet in good health, good behavior and good hygiene. I really can't ask for much more.

My point, sometimes the hair will do its own thing. You may need to adapt the cut or learn to accept some deviations.
I actually have scheduled in person consultations with each groomer. I bring my dog and photos showing examples of what I want I what I don't want. I think they only hear what they want to hear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts